Julie is a member of the Health Care and Employee Benefits practice groups. She helps clients to understand and comply with complex regulations and to navigate compliance challenges. Specifically, she focuses her practice on:
Health Care Law
- Advising healthcare providers on a wide range of regulatory issues, including compliance with the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, relevant privacy laws, and Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
- Structuring and reviewing physician compensation arrangements to ensure compliance with relevant law.
- Facilitating health care facility mergers and acquisitions.
Employee Benefits Law
- Assisting with the design, maintenance, and implementation of qualified retirement and welfare benefit plans to ensure compliance with ERISA and relevant IRS requirements.
- Helping group health plan sponsors to comply with health care reform, COBRA, and other relevant laws.
- Facilitating employee benefit plan corrections.
- Assisting with plan administrative functions, including review of QDROs, preparation of participant notifications, and nondiscrimination testing.
After earning her undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame in mathematics, Julie earned a full tuition scholarship to Saint Louis University School of Law. While in law school, Julie served as the managing editor of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, completed a judicial externship with the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and interned with the United States Attorney's Office in St. Louis. Julie graduated summa cum laude, earning 10 academic excellence awards for the highest overall ranking in 10 courses.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America© 2021-2022 "One to Watch" (Health Care Law)
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Care Law Section
Industry & Professional Associations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Benefits Council
- Girls on the Run of Kent and Muskegon Counties, Board Member
- Junior League of Grand Rapids
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- IRS Makes it Easier to Correct Certain Retirement Plan Compliance Issues
- 2021 Arrives with Additional Flexibility for Flexible Spending Accounts
- HIPAA Compliance Considerations During the Pandemic
- New Safe Harbor Announced for Electronic Disclosures Required by ERISA
Elder Law Blog
Health Care Law Blog
- Missing and Nonresponsive Participants, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, June 7, 2021
- Recent IRS Guidance and Clarification for the COBRA Subsidy Imposed by ARPA, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News, June 3, 2021
- Incentivizing Employees to Obtain COVID-19 Vaccines, Foster Swift Employee Benefits News, April 8, 2021
- Missing and Nonresponsive Participants, Foster Swift Employee Benefits News, April 8, 2021
- Employers Now Required to Fully Subsidize COBRA Coverage, Foster Swift Employee Benefits News, April 7, 2021
- Federal Agencies Clarify Extension of Welfare Benefit Plan Deadlines, Foster Swift Employee Benefits News, April 6, 2021
News & Events
- Foster Swift Best Lawyers® 2022 "Ones to Watch", August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Elects Six Shareholders in 2021, January 13, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Ones to Watch", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Associates, December 1, 2014
Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2014, summa cum laude
University of Notre Dame, B.S., 2010, cum laude, Mathematics
Bar and Court Admissions