Julie is a member of the Health Care and Employee Benefits practice groups. She helps clients to understand and comply with complex regulations and to navigate compliance challenges. Specifically, she focuses her practice on:
Health Care Law
- Advising healthcare providers on a wide range of regulatory issues, including compliance with the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, HIPAA, and Medicare and Medicaid regulations.
- Structuring and reviewing physician compensation arrangements to ensure compliance with relevant law.
- Facilitating health care facility mergers and acquisitions.
- Handling Medicare and Medicaid appeals.
Employee Benefits Law
- Assisting with the design and implementation of qualified retirement and welfare benefit plans to ensure compliance with ERISA and relevant IRS requirements.
- Helping group health plan sponsors to comply with health care reform, COBRA, HIPAA and other relevant laws.
- Facilitating employee benefit plan corrections.
- Assisting with plan administrative functions, including review of QDROs, preparation of participant notifications, and nondiscrimination testing.
- Advising public employers who participate in the Municipal Employees’ Retirement System ("MERS") regarding MERS-specific issues, including issues relating to the MERS Termination Policy.
After earning her undergraduate degree from the University of Notre Dame in mathematics, Julie earned a full tuition scholarship to Saint Louis University School of Law. While in law school, Julie served as the managing editor of the Saint Louis University Law Journal, completed a judicial externship with Judge Raymond W. Gruender of the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit and interned with the United States Attorney's Office in St. Louis. Julie graduated summa cum laude, earning 10 academic excellence awards for the highest overall ranking in 10 courses.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America© 2021 "One to Watch" (Health Care Law)
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Care Law Section
Industry & Professional Associations
- American Health Lawyers Association
- American Benefits Council
- Girls on the Run of Kent and Muskegon Counties, Board Member
- Junior League of Grand Rapids
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- HIPAA Compliance Considerations During the Pandemic
- New Safe Harbor Announced for Electronic Disclosures Required by ERISA
- Michigan Marijuana Retailers: Data Privacy and Cybersecurity Risks
Elder Law Blog
Health Care Law Blog
- Significant Changes to Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute Finalized
- CMS Releases Guidance on Shared Space Arrangements
- LARA Issues Changes to Child Care Licensing Rules
- CMS Publishes Final Rule to Modernize PACE Regulations
- Federal District Court Vacates New Association Health Plan Rules
- CMS Ends Home Health Agency Moratorium in Michigan
- IRS Announces 2021 Cost-of-Living Adjustments for Retirement Plans and for Health and Welfare Benefit Plans, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, October 27, 2020
- MERS Defined Benefit Plan Changes, Foster Swift Municipal Law News E-blast, September 21, 2020
- Common Compliance Errors: Cafeteria Plans, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law E-blast, September 14, 2020
- The Benefits of Adopting a Pre-Approved Plan, Foster Swift Business & Tax Law News E-blast, August 11, 2020
- HIPAA Business Associate Agreements - What Are They and When Are They Required?, Foster Swift Health Care Law News E-blast, July 29, 2020
- Fiduciary Basics for Benefits Plans, Business & Tax Law News E-blast, July 27, 2020
News & Events
- Foster Swift Elects Six Shareholders in 2021, January 13, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named Best Lawyers® 2021 "Ones to Watch", August 20, 2020
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Associates, December 1, 2014
Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2014, summa cum laude
University of Notre Dame, B.S., 2010, cum laude, Mathematics
Bar and Court Admissions