A native of Lansing, Doug Mielock is a member of the firm's Trusts & Estates Practice Group, serves on the firm's Executive Committee as the vice president of the Lansing Office. Devoted to helping clients achieve their goals, Doug represents and counsels clients in the following areas:
- Estate Planning: Meets with clients to determine their goals. Drafts wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other documents to achieve these goals. This includes the avoidance or reduction of federal income tax and federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax.
- Estate Litigation: Represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in probate court litigation. This includes disputes such as the construction of wills and trusts, the contested validity of wills and trusts and breach of trust actions brought against fiduciaries.
- Estate Administration: Represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of probate estates and trust estates following the death of an intestate decedent, testator, or settlor.
- Marital Agreements: Counsels individuals on their legal rights prior to marriage. Drafts pre-marital and post-marital agreements.
Doug is a frequent speaker on trust and estate-related topics. He has addressed dozens of groups and forums across Michigan, including testimony before state legislative committees. He is also a member of the Probate Advisory Committee for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers® 2017 Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2018 Litigation-Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers in America® 2001-2018 (Trusts & Estates; Elder Law; Non-Profit / Charities Law; Litigation - Trusts & Estates)
Michigan Super Lawyers 2005-2017 (Estate Planning & Probate)
- Top 100 Lawyers, 2008 and 2009
Best Lawyers® 2013 & 2016 Litigation - Trusts & Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
1997 Boss of the Year Award - Lansing Legal Support Professionals
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Probate and Estate Planning Section, Chair 2006-2007
- Michigan Trust Code Committee, Member 2005-2010
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Ingham County Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Probate Advisory Committee
- Greater Lansing Estate Planning Council
- Capital Region Community Foundation
- Member of the Board of Trustees since 2006
- Treasurer 2007- 2009
- Chair 2011
- Sparrow Foundation
- Planned Giving Committee, Member, Past Chairperson
- Elder Law of Michigan, Inc., Board Member, Past Chairperson
- Develop, draft, and implement estate plans that permit clients to pass a significant amount of wealth free of federal estate tax at death.
- Successfully represented beneficiaries of $7.5 million trust in defending action contesting validity of trust.
- Successfully represented beneficiary under unsigned draft amendment in trust action to establish validity of unsigned trust amendment.
- Successfully represented bank trustee in defending separate actions for breach of trust brought by beneficiaries of multi-million dollar trusts.
- Represented beneficiaries of trust in successfully defending multiple actions brought contesting validity of trust; obtained complete victory for clients following bench trial.
- Introductory Trust Clauses, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, July 2017
- Office of Trustee, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, July 2017
- Using Revocable Grantor Trusts, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, July 2017
- Avoiding Conflict Over Tangible Personal Property, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Fall 2010
- Michigan Trust Code Takes Effect April 1, 2010, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Winter 2009
- Recent Court of Appeals Case Highlights Importance of Estate Planning in Multiple Marriage Situations, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Winter 2009
News & Events
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Foster Swift Elects 2017 Executive Committee, February 13, 2017
- Douglas A. Mielock Recieves Michael W. Irish Award from State Bar of Michigan, November 21, 2016
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Recognized as Best Lawyers® 2017 "Lawyer of the Year", August 25, 2016
- 2018 Take Root Conference, Michigan Farm Bureau, February 26, 2018
- Foster Swift Attorney Presents Estate Planning for Farmers, Michigan Farm Bureau, February 26, 2018
- You’re Just the Scrivener: How to Avoid Being a Witness in a Will or Trust Contest, May 2017
- Drafting Effective Joint Trusts, Upper Michigan Legal Institute: State Bar of Michigan, June 2016
- How to Disinherit a Spouse or Child, State Bar of Michigan, June 2016
- Estate Planning in the Era of Portability and High Exclusion Amounts, Ingham County Bar Association, April 2016
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1987
Michigan State University, B.A., 1984, General Business Administration, with honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Court