Doug Mielock is devoted to helping clients achieve their goals, Doug represents and counsels clients in the following areas:
- Estate Planning: Meets with clients to determine their goals. Drafts wills, trusts, powers of attorney and other documents to achieve these goals. This includes the avoidance or reduction of federal income tax and federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax.
- Estate Litigation: Represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in probate court litigation. This includes disputes such as the construction of wills and trusts, the contested validity of wills and trusts and breach of trust actions brought against fiduciaries.
- Estate Administration: Represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in the administration of probate estates and trust estates following the death of an intestate decedent, testator, or settlor.
- Marital Agreements: Counsels individuals on their legal rights prior to marriage. Drafts pre-marital and post-marital agreements.
Doug is a frequent speaker on trust and estate-related topics. He has addressed dozens of groups and forums across Michigan, including testimony before state legislative committees. He is also a member of the Probate Advisory Committee for the Institute of Continuing Legal Education. A native of Lansing, Doug is a former leader of the firm's Trusts & Estates Practice Group and currently serves on the firm's Executive Committee as Co-Vice President of the Lansing office. He also formerly served on the firm's Executive Committee as Secretary.
Honors & Recognitions
Michael W. Irish Award (2016 – Probate and Estate Planning Section, State Bar of Michigan)
Best Lawyers in America® 2001-2022 (Trusts & Estates; Elder Law; Non-Profit / Charities Law; Litigation - Trusts & Estates)
Best Lawyers® 2022 Elder Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2013 & 2016 Litigation - Trusts & Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2017 Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2018 and 2020 Litigation-Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Michigan Super Lawyers, Estate & Probate, 2005-2021
- Top 100 Michigan Super Lawyers, 2008 & 2009
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell rating since 1998
1997 Boss of the Year Award - Lansing Legal Support Professionals
Inductee – Lansing Eastern High School Sports Hall of Fame
Inductee – Greater Lansing Sports Hall of Fame
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- Council Member/Officer 1996-2007
- Chair 2006-2007
- Estates and Protected Individuals Code Committee, Member 1992-2000
- Michigan Trust Code Committee, Member 2005-2010
- Probate and Estate Planning Section
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Ingham County Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, Fellow 2002-Present
- Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Probate Advisory Committee, 2006-2018
- Greater Lansing Estate Planning Council
- Elder Law of Michigan Inc., Former Chair and former Board of Directors
- Capital Region Community Foundation
- Board of Trustees 2006-2014
- Treasurer 2007- 2009
- Chair Elect 2010
- Chair 2011
- Sparrow Foundation
- Planned Giving Committee, Former Chair and former Committee member
- Develop, draft, and implement estate plans that permit clients to pass a significant amount of wealth free of federal estate tax at death.
- Successfully represented beneficiaries of $7.5 million trust in defending action contesting validity of trust.
- Successfully represented beneficiary under unsigned draft amendment in trust action to establish validity of unsigned trust amendment.
- Successfully represented bank trustee in defending separate actions for breach of trust brought by beneficiaries of multi-million dollar trusts.
- Represented beneficiaries of trust in successfully defending multiple actions brought contesting validity of trust; obtained complete victory for clients following bench trial.
- Michigan Probate Litigation, Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), October 15, 2017
- Introductory Trust Clauses, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, July 2017
- Office of Trustee, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, July 2017
- Using Revocable Grantor Trusts, Michigan Estate Planning Handbook, Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), July 2017
- Avoiding Conflict Over Tangible Personal Property, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Fall 2010
- Michigan Trust Code Takes Effect April 1, 2010, Foster Swift Estate Planning Insights, Winter 2009
News & Events
- Apply 2020 Discovery Rules in Probate Litigation, Institute for Continuing Legal Education (ICLE), January 9, 2020
- Anatomy of a Trust, 59th Annual Probate and Estate Planning Institute, State Bar of Michigan, Probate and Estate Planning Section, May 16, 2019
- Nonprobate Transfers, 58th Annual Probate and Estate Planning Institute, State Bar of Michigan, Probate and Estate Planning Section, May 17, 2018
- Estate Planning 101, Michigan Farm Bureau: 2018 Take Root Conference, February 26, 2018
- You’re Just the Scrivener: How to Avoid Being a Witness in a Will or Trust Contest, 57th Annual Probate and Estate Planning Institute, State Bar of Michigan, Probate and Estate Planning Section, May 2017
- Drafting Effective Joint Trusts, Upper Michigan Legal Institute: State Bar of Michigan, June 2016
- Foster Swift Elects EC Members for 2022, February 21, 2022
- Best Lawyers® 2022 "Lawyer of the Year", August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- 16 Attorneys Selected to 2021 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Michigan Super Lawyers, August 13, 2021
- Firm Elects EC Members and Practice Leaders in 2021, February 17, 2021
- 18 Attorneys Selected to 2020 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, September 18, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1987
Michigan State University, B.A., 1984, General Business Administration, with honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Saginaw Chippewa Indian Tribal Court