Allison Collins is a member of the General Litigation Practice Group and Agri-Business Practice Group. She has extensive experience in environmental litigation in both state and federal courts. Allison's practice also includes agricultural law, insurance coverage and insurance defense. Representing clients at all phases of litigation, Allison handles a wide range of complex environmental, commercial and insurance litigation matters on behalf of municipalities, schools, companies and individuals. This includes:
- Environmental Litigation: Water, soil, natural resources permitting, regulatory compliance, contract negotiation, due diligence, investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites and administrative proceedings.
- Insurance Coverage: legal analysis and coverage opinions related to commercial general liability policies, umbrella/excess policies and commercial property policies related to claims for construction defects, personal injury, property damage, toxic tort and environmental coverage.
- Administrative Litigation: Appeals determinations by USDA, FSA, and National Resource Conservation Services (NRCS). In addition, represents clients in bid protest to United States Government Accountability Office (USGAO).
- General Litigation and Appellate Work: Insurance defense, employment litigation, premises liability, civil rights actions, and commercial litigation, including appeals before various state courts, federal courts, and administrative bodies.
Allison grew up in an agricultural community in California, and her dedication to agriculture has continued in Michigan as an active member of Foster Swift's Agri-Business Group. Because of her knowledge of both environmental and agricultural law she has been tapped to serve as the co-editor of the Michigan Environmental Law Journal for the State Bar of Michigan.
Allison received the E.W. Kitner Scholarship to attend Indiana University Maurer School of Law-Bloomington, where she obtained her J.D. and was awarded deans honors. While attending law school, Allison acquired a great deal of practical experience through her work at Indiana University Student Legal Services. Allison served as a Certified Legal Intern and represented students in bringing and defending claims in a variety of legal areas, including landlord-tenant issues, contracts, invasions of privacy and criminal matters.
Honors & Recognitions
"Top 5 Under 35" Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2019
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2018
Michigan Super Lawyers 2017 (Insurance Coverage)
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Environmental Law Section - Co-editor Michigan Environmental Law (2018-)
- Agricultural Law Section
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section
- Michigan State University Inns of Court
- Avoiding Insurance Disputes in Agriculture, April 2019 Agricultural Law News, March 2019
- Downstream Litigation: Henry v. Dow Chemical Co. and Claim Accrual in Toxic Tort Cases, Michigan Environmental Law Journal: Fall 2018 Issue
- Insurance Institute of Michigan 2015: Agriculture Law Update
- 2014 Farm Bill Opportunities for Young and Beginning Farmers, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, December 11, 2014
News & Events
- Foster Swift Announces Women in Leadership, Michigan Business Network, June 5, 2019
- Collins, DeLuca Named to ICBA's Top 5 under 35 Attorneys, Lansing Regional Chamber, March 22, 2019
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reiterates That Worker’s Compensation Claims Are the Exclusive Remedy for Injured Employees, Detroit Legal News, May 1, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- Court of Appeals Win!, May 10, 2017
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Associates, December 1, 2014
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., 2014
University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 2011, History and Criminology
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals