Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America (Mass Tort Litigation)
Member of Foster Swift Executive Committee
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 1989
Northern Michigan University, B.S., 1984
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Supreme Court
Paul J. Millenbach
Paul J. Millenbach
Paul is a litigator and is a co-leader of the General Litigation Practice Group. Paul has extensive experience in Michigan no-fault litigation, including medical provider reimbursement as well as first and third party defense. Other core components of Paul's practice include a highly specialized transportation and logistics law practice and mass tort defense of asbestos disease cases statewide, including Wayne County. He also assists clients with commercial litigation and family law matters.
Admitted to practice law in Michigan, as well as the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan and the U.S. Supreme Court, Paul is an active member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan, a board member of the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, and the Transportation Lawyers Association. He is also a Fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation and the Detroit Metropolitan Bar Foundation.
Committed to keeping clients abreast of changes in the law, Paul frequently provides updates via e-blast or traditional seminars to a variety of groups including transportation industry leaders, health care financial officers and insurance companies.
A Grosse Pointe native, Paul is a visiting lecturer on Constitutional and Transportation Law at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law and is currently the Vice President of the Northern Michigan University Alumni Association Board of Directors. He was appointed by Governor Jennifer Granholm to the Michigan Truck Safety Commission in 2010. He also previously served as Vice President overseeing Foster Swift's Farmington Hills office and was a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
- Most recently received a published Court of Appeals decision awarding $2.4 million dollars to a medical provider for medical services rendered to a passenger injured in a vehicle that had been stolen.
- Successfully challenged the State of Michigan on behalf of a large group of motor carriers who were required to pay excess registration/plate fees. Defended these motor carriers in courts throughout the state. Won the case against the state, which was affirmed by the court of appeals in 2009.
- Successfully assisted in getting legislation passed which amended the Michigan Motor Carrier Act to the benefit of Michigan household goods carriers.
- Received no cause jury verdict in Wayne County Circuit Court on behalf of a first party insurer.
- Received a Court of Appeals decision affirming the payment of a quarter million dollar medical bill for medical services rendered to a tow truck operator who was crushed when a van he was loading fell on top of him. With interest, the amount recovered exceeds $400.000.
- Over the past decade, Paul has successfully negotiated settlements of thousands of asbestos, cancer and mesothelioma lawsuits throughout Michigan, including Wayne County, for several manufacturing concerns.
- 47 Foster Swift attorneys named as 2013 Best Lawyers, September 4, 2012
- Foster Swift elects 2012 Executive Committee, March 2, 2012
- Paul Millenbach Appointed Vice President of Northern Michigan University's Board of Directors, September 2011
- Foster Swift Elects 2011 Executive Committee, February 24, 2011
- Millenbach Addresses International Shipping Issues at Port Lansing Logistics Conference, November 10, 2010
- Governor Granholm appoints Paul J. Millenbach to Michigan Truck Safety Commission, July 8, 2010
- Foster Swift Names 2010 Executive Committee, April 9, 2010
- Ethical Issues Faced by Transportation Attorneys, Transportation Lawyer Association, January 20, 2012
- Spring Compliance Seminar: Warehouse Liens, Michigan Movers Association, May 12, 2011
- Mistakes to Avoid when Doing International Business, Port Lansing 2010 Global Logistics Conference, November 10, 2010
- Understanding the Tariff, Michigan Movers Association, March 2010
- Transportation and Logistics: Ensuring Your Products Reach Your Customer and Greening the Supply Chain, Trade North America - U.S. Department of Commerce - Commercial Service, September 2009
- Michigan No-Fault and Insurance Carriers, August 2009
For more, click here
- Court of Appeals Interprets Overweight Truck Law, Foster Swift Transpost E-News, December 3, 2010
- Michigan Supreme Court Overrules Kreiner, Foster Swift No-Fault E-News, August 2, 2010
- Foster Swift Recovers $2.4 Million for Hospital in No-Fault Case, Foster Swift Health Care Law Report, June 2010
- Michigan Trailer Plate Update, Foster Swift Transpost, June 2009
- Overweight Trucks, Foster Swift Construction Law News, June 2009
- MPSC Issues Two Opinions Affecting Its Authority to Regulate Carriers, Foster Swift Transpost, February 2007
For more, click here
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Administrative Law Section
- Transportation Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, Board Member, 2011 to present
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law, Visiting Lecturer, 2008 to present
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Foundation, Fellow
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Truck Safety Commission, Appointed Commissioner, 2010-2011
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Michigan Movers Association
- Michigan Trucking Association
- Transportation Club of Detroit
- Vice President, Northern Michigan University Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Baker College, Former Adjunct Professor
- Attorney Advisor, Grosse Pointe South High School Mock Trial Team