Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America (Environmental Law, Natural Resources Law, First Amendment Law)
Michigan Super Lawyers (Environmental)
2004 Boss of the Year, National Association of Legal Secretaries - Lansing Chapter
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1980, cum laude
DePauw University, B.A., 1977, magna cum laude
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
Charles E. Barbieri
Charles E. Barbieri
A member of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Chuck concentrates his law practice almost exclusively in environmental and First Amendment and Media law matters. His clients include, municipalities, companies and individuals as he assists them with:
- Environmental Law: litigation; air, water, waste, natural resource permitting and approval; air, water, soil, ground water, surface water, natural resource, right to know regulatory compliance, negotiation of contracts, insurance, review of due diligence for transactions, investigation and cleanup of contaminated sites, sewer authorities, recycling, etc.
- First Amendment and Media Law: libel litigation, freedom of information requests and issues, open meetings act issues, subpoenas, news gathering issues, courtroom access issues, access to court record issues, etc.
- General Litigation and Appellate Work: insurance defense, commercial litigation, defense of claims brought by United States and State units, defense of municipalities.
Recognized as an outstanding writer early in his professional career when he was Articles Editor for the Indiana Law Review, Chuck is a frequent author on environmental and first amendment issues. Chuck has authored numerous articles of interest for legal and trade publications throughout Michigan. This is one reason that Charles is such a sought after environmental lawyer in Lansing.
Committed to the profession and the community, Chuck has always been involved. He just wrapped up a term as the immediate past section chair for the Environmental Law Section of the Michigan State Bar, and is very active in the American Inns of Court at Michigan State University College of Law.
- Represented manufacturer in the defense against a subrogation claim and prosecution of a separate counterclaim relating to a fire resulting in almost $100 million in damages.
- Assisted a development company in acquiring a 600,000 square foot building and nearby properties which was later used for new manufacturing. Assisted in minimizing the liability for environmental issues, securing Brownfield reimbursement for environmental expenses and carrying out corrective action activities.
- Provided counsel to a public authority in acquisition of additional sewer capacity and participated in expansion of existing sewer facility that cost over $100 million. Negotiated related agreements.
- Successfully argued in Michigan Supreme Court that residents surrounding former solvent distribution business could not bring property damage claims merely because they lived in the vicinity of the business unless their properties were actually contaminated.
- Obtained directed verdict in a libel suit against a news columnist who reported about a local service firm that charged excessive fees. Successfully defended appeal.
- Seven Foster Swift Attorneys named "Lawyer of the Year", April 9, 2013
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Admitted to Practice Before Supreme Court, November 2, 2012
- Foster Swift attorneys selected as Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 6, 2012
- 47 Foster Swift attorneys named as 2013 Best Lawyers, September 4, 2012
- Foster Swift selected as a Top Ranked Law Firm by Martindale-Hubbell, April 16, 2012
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2011 Michigan Super Lawyers; 4 named Michigan Rising Stars, September 12, 2011
- Five Foster Swift Attorneys named 'Lawyer of the Year', November 1, 2010
Memberships & Affiliations
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Past Board Director and Treasurer
- Past Member, Negligence Committee
- Past Chairman, Environmental Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Environmental Law Section
- Council Member, 2000-2006
- Secretary-Treasurer, 2006-2007
- Chair Elect, 2007-2008
- Chair, 2008-2009
- Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow
- Defense Research Institute
- American Inns of Court, MSU College of Law, Special Master
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Water Environment Federation
- Michigan Oil and Gas Association, Environmental Affairs Committee, Past Member
- Faith Lutheran Church, Okemos, President of Congregation (2003-2004) and Current Chair of Endowment Committee
- Boy Scouts of America, Troop 125, Okemos, Past Scoutmaster (2003-2008)