Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers® in America 2014 (Administrative / Regulatory Law)
University of Detroit School of Law, J.D., 1982
Western Michigan University, B.S., 1979
Bar and Court Admissions
Michigan Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
Brian J. Renaud
Brian J. Renaud
Brian Renaud, a shareholder at Foster Swift, provides general counsel services to mature and second stage companies and to government entities. His role as general counsel encompasses day to day advising on contracts, employment, real estate, finance, insurance, licensing, regulatory, municipal and litigation matters.
Brian’s work for corporate, institutional and government clients include:
- Business: contract negotiation and drafting, real estate transactions, insurance coverage and corporate formation matters
- Municipal: ordinance drafting and implementation; Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings Act compliance; municipal contracting; eminent domain proceedings
- Regulatory: permitting, compliance and transactional due diligence
- Litigation: complex cases and appeals at all levels of the state and federal court systems, including administrative litigation before various state and federal agencies and tribunals
Companies and governmental entities represented in Brian’s role as general counsel include: an international manufacturer of professional sports equipment; a health care services provider with facilities in six states; an international transportation company with operations throughout the United States; and a major Michigan municipality.
In addition to his legal practice, Brian has served as Chairman and is currently on the Governing Board of Lexwork International, a network of independent law firms in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, offering business law services to companies worldwide.
- Negotiated dismissal of a $700,000 federal withholding tax claim against a national business services owner.
- Negotiated air emission regulation package with state environmental agency that eliminated in excess of $100 million in client capital expenditure requirements.
- Successfully litigated exemption of a $45 million waste conversion facility from state personal property taxes, reducing the client’s annual tax liability by $2.5 million.
- Obtained the dismissal of an eminent domain challenge to a pipeline construction project.
- Managed regulatory and media response of a Tier 1 automotive parts manufacturer to chemical release, avoiding adverse publicity and significantly reducing remediation costs.
- Obtained operating permits for Great Lakes marina development. Managed media coverage issues and negotiated conservation easement with state permitting authority.
- Developed regulatory policy manuals for major Midwest financial institution. Conducted policy implementation training sessions in several states.
- Obtained $1.8 million dollar summary disposition in an environmental fraud and cost recovery case of first impression in Michigan.
- Obtained summary judgment in a high-profile federal whistleblower case of first impression for a national paper products client.
- State Bar of Michigan- Professionalism in Action Program, State Bar of Michigan, August 13, 2012
- Ask a Lawyer - Municipal Litigation and Appeals, Michigan Township Association, January 25, 2012
- Recent Developments in Michigan Environmental Law, Lorman Education Services, March 2005
- Law for the Real Estate Professional, October 2002
- Try to See it My Way: Dealing with the Regulatory Process, Illinois State Bar Association, September 2001
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Community Leadership Development Academy, Graduate
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, PAC Board Member
- International Right of Way Association
- Licensed Michigan Real Estate Broker