Alex is a member of the firm’s Municipal practice group and works in the Grand Rapids office where he focuses primarily on representing cities, counties, villages and townships, libraries, and special authorities served by the firm. He also represents a number of businesses in litigation matters. Representative matters include:
- Drafting complex litigation and litigation-focused oral advocacy
- Drafting ordinances, resolutions and administrative policies
- Drafting and analyzing contracts and agreements
- Drafting regulatory frameworks
- Utility service agreements
- State and local property tax
- Special assessment districts
- Municipal ethics
- Telecommunications: METRO Act and Small Cell Wireless (5G)
- Click here to view an Mlive article in which Alex was quoted that discusses the concerns of 5G compliance with the Grand Rapids community.
Alex attended the Indiana University Maurer School of Law in Bloomington, Indiana. While a law student, he clerked for former Chief Justice Robert P. Young of the Michigan Supreme Court. Alex received Oral Advocacy Honors and the award for “Most Outstanding Contribution” for the graduating class of 2018.
Alex served as President of the Student Bar Association and Executive Fellow for the Center for Constitutional Democracy. He served as Notes Editor of the Indiana Journal of Law and Social Equality and sat on the Executive Board for the Indiana Journal of Constitutional Design. He was selected for the prestigious Stewart Fellowship, an opportunity which allowed him to work closely with a Senior Advocate to the Supreme Court of India in New Delhi.
Alex graduated from DePaul University in Chicago with degrees in Political Science and Journalism. After graduation, he worked as an on-air contributor for Vocalo/WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR affiliate station, and taught journalism to at-risk youth on Chicago’s west side. Before beginning law school, Alex also worked as a consultant for a healthcare technology firm that worked to help public health facilities adjust to the regulatory dimensions of the Affordable Care Act.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Federal Bar for the Western District of Michigan
- While 5G Technology Offers Innovation, Public Act 365 Strips Municipal Control, April 2019 Municipal Law News, March 25, 2019
- State Senate Bill Threatens to Undermine Existing Municipal Contracts, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 12, 2018
News & Events
- Understanding the General Law Village Act, Michigan Municipal League (Capital Conference & Annual Expo), March 19, 2019
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Attorneys, November 16, 2018