Alex is a member of the firm’s Municipal Practice Group and works in the Grand Rapids office where focuses primarily on representing cities, counties, villages and townships, libraries, and special authorities served by the firm. Representative projects include:
- Drafting ordinances and resolutions
- Preparing legal opinions for municipal clients
- METRO Act and Small Cell Wireless Telecommunication Permit Issues
- Handling state and local property tax matters
- Evaluating applicability of special assessments districts
- Police and fire service agreements
- Addressing ethics questions for municipalities
- Assisting with litigation preparation on behalf of municipalities on a wide-range of issues.
Alex attended the Indiana University Maurer School of Law, where he was Chair of the Student Bar Association and Executive Fellow for the Center for Constitutional Democracy. He served as Notes Editor the Indiana Journal of Law and Social Equality and sat on the Executive Board for the Indiana Journal of Constitutional Design. Alex received Oral Advocacy Honors in the Sherman Minton Moot Court Competition in his second year and the award for “Most Outstanding Contribution” for the graduating class of 2018. As a law student, Alex clerked for former Chief Justice Robert P. Young of the Michigan Supreme Court.
Alex graduated from DePaul University in Chicago with degrees in Political Science and Journalism. After graduation, he worked as an on-air contributor for Vocalo/WBEZ, Chicago’s NPR affiliate station, and taught journalism to at-risk youth on Chicago’s west side. Before beginning law school, Alex also worked as a consultant for a healthcare technology firm that worked to help public health facilities adjust to the regulatory dimensions of the Affordable Care Act.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- While 5G Technology Offers Innovation, Public Act 365 Strips Municipal Control, April 2019 Municipal Law News, March 25, 2019
- State Senate Bill Threatens to Undermine Existing Municipal Contracts, November 2018 Municipal Law News, November 12, 2018
News & Events
- Understanding the General Law Village Act, Michigan Municipal League (Capital Conference & Annual Expo), March 19, 2019
- Foster Swift Welcomes Five New Attorneys, November 16, 2018