Webb Smith has been listed in Best Lawyers in America since 1993. In recognition of his efforts, he was distinguished as the recipient of the Leo Farhat Outstanding Attorney Award in 1997 and the Thomas E. Brennan Lifetime Achievement Award in 2013. He received the 13th Annual Excellence in Defense Award in 2005, and was named a “Top Commercial Litigator” in 2006.
A native of Lansing, Michigan, Webb completed his undergraduate studies at Michigan State University and received his juris doctorate from the University of Michigan Law School.
Webb is admitted to practice in Michigan, the U.S. Supreme Court, the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan. He is a member of the Federal Bar Association as well as the American Bar Association and its Litigation and Natural Resources Sections.
He is an American Bar Foundation Fellow, a Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow, an Ingham County Bar Foundation Founding Fellow and is active in the State Bar of Michigan, where he currently serves on its Committee for Resolution of Disputes Among Attorneys. He is also a fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He previously served on the State Bar Civil Procedures Committee and Committee on Judicial Qualifications.
He is also a current member and past president of the Ingham County Bar Association. Webb’s previous involvement includes sitting on the Character and Fitness Committee of Ingham County’s 30th Judicial Circuit Court for 12 years, spending more than seven years as a member of Client Security Fund, and serving as a member of the Representative Assembly of the State Bar of Michigan.
He is a member and formerly served on the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel’s Board of Directors. He is also a member of both the Michigan Oil and Gas Association and the Association of Defense Trial Attorneys. He has distinguished himself further as a Life Member of the Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference and is also a member of the Ingham County Bar Foundation’s Board of Directors.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 1993-2019 (Commercial Litigation; Energy Law; First Amendment Law; Natural Resources Law; Oil & Gas Law)
Michigan Super Lawyers Business Litigation, 2005-2018
Ingham County Bar Association 2013 Thomas E. Brennan Lifetime Achievement Award
Ingham County Bar Association 1997 Leo A. Farhat Outstanding Attorney Award
Best Lawyers® 2012 Oil & Gas Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2011 Natural Resources "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Institute of Trial Presentations, Member
- Association of Defense Trial Attorneys, Prime Member
- Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference, Life Member
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- The Trial Law Institute, Member
- Diversity Law Institute, Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan, Clinton County, Eaton County and Ingham County, Case Evaluator
- Historical Society of the U.S. District Court for Western District of Michigan, Past Member of the Board of Trustees
- Ingham County Bar Foundation
- Board of Directors
- Founding Fellow
- Ingham County Bar Association, Past President
- Eaton County Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Oil and Gas Association
- Peppermint Creek Theater Company Advisory Board, Member
- Michigan State University's Wharton Center Advisory Council, Former Board Member
- Mid-Michigan, Michigan State University Alumni Club, Past President
- Lead counsel for Shell Oil Co. in landmark Pigeon River litigation (subject of State of Michigan Legal Milestone).
- Pipeline and gas proration matters before Michigan Public Service Commission.
- Lead trial counsel in industrial espionage case involving theft of confidential oil and gas data.
- Lead counsel in defense of class actions involving royalty disputes and operations of gas processing plant.
- Lead counsel for oil and gas industry (and Shell Oil Co.) in public hearings before Michigan Department of Natural Resources (now known as the Department of Environmental Quality) in establishing rules for handling Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials ("NORM") forming on underground pipes.
News & Events
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
University of Michigan Law School, L.L.B., 1963
Michigan State University, B.A., 1960
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court
Michigan Supreme Court