Tyler Olney focuses his practice in General Litigation and Workers’ Compensation Defense. He has experience in cases involving first and third party no fault defense, insurance defense, commercial and real estate litigation. While representing clients in a wide range of matters, Tyler has appeared and argued in both state and federal courtrooms all over the country.
Before becoming a lawyer, Tyler enjoyed a successful academic career. He earned his law degree from Michigan State University College of Law, where he graduated summa cum laude, and his undergraduate degree from Grand Valley State University, where he graduated with High Honors.
Tyler achieved numerous accomplishments in his time at law school, including being named a Merit Scholar, a finalist in the school-wide Advocacy Competition, and a member of the Dean's List every semester. He served as a judicial clerk at the Kent County 17th Judicial Circuit Court- Family Division and as a legal extern at the Michigan Migrant Legal Aid Project. He was also a member of the Michigan State Law Review, the Appellate Moot Court Board, the Student Ambassador Program, and served as a Torts Teaching Assistant.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Employee or Independent Contractor? The Appellate Commission Applies its Own Facts to Overturn Magistrate’s Decision, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, February 21, 2020
- Employee Fraud Not a Condition for an Employer's/Insurer's Recoupment of Overpayment, Foster Swift Workers' Compensation Update, January 3, 2020
News & Events
- Workers' Comp Update, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel (MDTC) Annual Meeting & Conference, June 18, 2020
- 2019 Comprehensive Guide to Employment Law, National Business Institute (NBI, November 13, 2019
- FMLA, ADA and Workers' Compensation: Managing Leave of Absence Issues, National Business Institute (Employment Law: 2019 Comprehensive Guide), November 13, 2019
- Can social media posts be used as evidence in defense of a workers’ compensation claim?, Stop Before You Crash: Workers' Compensation and Employment Law, March 22, 2017
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four New Attorneys, December 7, 2015
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude
Grand Valley State University, B.A., English and Spanish, with High Honors
Bar and Court Admissions