Steve Owen is a member of the firm’s Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy Services Practice Group. He is known for his strong dispute resolution skills, which help him efficiently facilitate terms of transactions and conflicts.
Admitted to practice before all Michigan courts and before the U.S. District Court for Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan. Steve also serves as a Commercial Case Evaluator for Ingham County where as a panel member he helps determine settlement values for pending commercial cases.
Steve's passion for teaching and sharing his understanding of the law has included all areas of his practice. In addition to providing advice to clients, he has been an Adjunct Professor at the Western Michigan University Cooley Law School since 1990 where he has taught:
- Secured Transactions.
- Mortgages and Land Contracts.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution.
- Modern Real Estate Transactions.
Committed to the Lansing community, Steve is very involved. He sits on the Board of Directors for the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, Sparrows Nest, Love & Respect Ministries, and Salt & Light Global. In addition to his work on the Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors, Steve is the Chamber's Legal Counsel and is a member of its Executive Committee.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2009-2018 (Banking & Finance Law; Finance Services Regulation Law; Real Estate Law)
Best Lawyers® 2012 Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Frederick J. Griffith III Outstanding Adjunct Faculty Award, Cooley Law School, 2006
Memberships & Affiliations
Industry & Professional Associations:
- ACADEMIC POSITION: Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Adjunct Faculty Member and Visiting Professor
- Commercial Case Evaluator, Ingham County
- Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, Legal Counsel
- Sparrows Nest Board of Directors
- Love & Respect Board of Directors, Chair
- Salt & Light Global, Board of Directors
- Documentation of numerous real estate and asset secured commercial loans for regional banks.
- Real estate and operations counsel to some of Michigan's largest credit unions, allowing those institutions to expand their business and their branch offices.
- Primary drafter of the Michigan "Savings Bank Act."
- Incorporator of a number of charitable, non-profit corporations including churches.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Bankruptcy Blog
- Court of Appeals Wrestles Again with an Equitable Subrogation Claim in a Dispute Between Two Mortgage Lenders, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, February 7, 2017
- Recording and Filing Fees in Various Sections of Michigan Law Revised to New $30 Flat Fee, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, August 18, 2016
- Survey Indicates that TRID Compliance is Leading to Delays in Loan Closings and Fewer Product Offerings, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy, March 31, 2016
- Credit Reporting Agencies Unite to Transform Reporting and Resolution Practices, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, June 18, 2015
- Michigan Joins Eight Other States in Signing Agreement to Facilitate Ability of Credit Unions to Operate Across State Lines, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, June 18, 2015
- Michigan Landlord/Tenant Law Amended to Allow for Electronic Service of Eviction Notices, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate and Bankruptcy News, June 18, 2015
News & Events
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- 45 Foster Swift attorneys named to 2015 Best Lawyers in America® roster, August 19, 2014
- Forty-five Foster Swift Attorneys included in Best Lawyers in America®, August 15, 2013
- 47 Foster Swift attorneys named as 2013 Best Lawyers in America®, September 4, 2012
- Foster Swift selected as a Top Ranked Law Firm by Martindale-Hubbell, April 16, 2012
- Three Foster Swift Attorneys Named "Lawyer of the Year", October 31, 2011
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1976
Michigan State University, B.A., 1973, with high honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan