Steve Smith devotes his practice to advising and representing individuals, businesses and associations in the broad spectrum of real estate and property matters as well as corporate formation and management issues. In handling trusts and estates matters, Steve counsels and represents families and individuals. Steve has extensive experience counseling and representing clients such as property owners and entrepreneurs; buyers, sellers and developers of property; corporations and LLCs; contractors and landlords; and condominium and homeowner associations. Steve co-authored a piece on condominium association boards which appeared in Michigan Real Property Review, the official journal of the State Bar’s Real Property Law Section and was twice named a Rising Star in the Michigan Bar by Super Lawyers Magazine.
Steve is still known in Southwest Michigan for having represented Notre Dame on the Jeopardy! College Championship. He is native of Coloma, Michigan, and an alumnus of the University of Notre Dame. After graduating magna cum laude from Notre Dame, Steve earned his law degree at Georgetown University Law Center in Washington, D.C. While at Georgetown, Steve served on the editorial staff of the Georgetown Journal of Legal Ethics. He practiced law in both the public and private sectors for nearly a decade in Washington, D.C. and Virginia, and in Michigan since 2007.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Super Lawyers "Rising Star," 2012, 2013
Washingtonian Magazine, "Washington's Top Lawyers," 2004
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan, Member
- Agricultural Law Section
- Council Member
- Agricultural Law Section
- Berrien County Bar Association, Member
- Admitted to United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Admitted to Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians Tribal Court
- Berrien County Land Bank Authority, Member
- Berrien County Historical Association, Board of Directors, Member
- Honor Credit Union, Board of Directors, Associate Member
- St. Joseph-Benton Harbor Rotary Club, Past President
- Lakeland Health Foundation, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Sarett Nature Center, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Emergency Shelter Services, Board of Directors, Past Member
- Lest We Forget, Past Member
- Southwest Michigan Home Builders Association, Past Member
- Lakeshore Chamber of Commerce, Past Member
- Four Flags Area Chamber of Commerce, Past Member
- Southwest Michigan Symphony Orchestra Development Committee, Past Member
- Berrien County GOP, Past Chairman
- Citadel Dance & Music Center, Past Chairman of Board of Directors
- Represent property owners in disputes with neighboring owners over applicable boundary lines and easements.
- Counsel and represent condominium associations and their boards of directors on condominium management issues.
- Assist entrepreneurs in the formation of for-profit and non-profit enterprises.
- Advise developers and contractors in land use and development projects.
- Represent businesses and municipalities in property tax matters before local boards of review and the Michigan Tax Tribunal.
- Counsel and represent landlords and tenants in commercial and residential lease matters.
- Assists individuals and families with trust and estate planning, and counsel and represent trustees and personal representatives in the administration of trusts and estates.
- Farming Land Leases: Get it in Writing, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 17, 2019
- Transferring Property and the Qualified Agricultural Property Exemption, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 15, 2018
- The Case for Putting it in Writing, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 24, 2018
- Michigan Statute Offers Liability Protections Against Recreational Uses on Agricultural Lands, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, January 30, 2017
- "Green" Acres: The Commercial Use of a Barn Runs Afoul of the Law, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, July 28, 2016
- When the School Bell Goes Silent: Dealing with Former School Buildings, Foster Swift School Law News, July 20, 2016
News & Events
- Sheriff's Deeds, Michigan Association of Register of Deeds; Annual Summer Conference, September 17, 2019
- Collins and Smith Named to SBM Ag Law Council, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, October 4, 2019
- Foster Swift Attorney Elected Rotary Club of St. Joseph-Benton Harbor President, June 30, 2016
Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1998
University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1995, magna cum laude
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Pokagon Band of Potawatomi Indians Tribal Court