Business objectives should drive legal strategy, not the other way around. Since great businesses are built on a foundation of great people, one of the primary objectives of businesses of all sizes is the attraction and retention of talented workforces. Employee benefits, qualified retirement and executive compensation plans and programs are critical to attract great people, but given the increasing legal, tax and regulatory complexities associated with them, businesses often become constrained and burdened in designing and maintaining effective programs.
With his strong business acumen, Ryan uses a pragmatic, goal-oriented approach to help clients overcome these challenges and succeed. He advises for-profit, non-profit, and governmental entities in connection with a broad range of employee benefits, retirement plan, and executive compensation issues, including:
Qualified Retirement Plans
- ERISA and tax compliance
- Plan corrections
- Tax consequences or corrections regarding plan administration
- Plan treatment, amendments, and terminations in the context of mergers & acquisitions, sales, divestitures, and reorganizations
Employee Benefit Plans (including Qualified Retirement Plans)
- Fiduciary duties
- Plan investments
- ERISA prohibited transactions and related exemptions
- Executive compensation planning and agreements
- Executive deferred compensation agreements and plan funding
Ryan's employee benefits, retirement plan and executive compensation experience is bolstered by his background in finance and economics, and representation of clients in a wide range of general corporate, tax, and immigration law matters. He has written and spoken extensively on many topics of relevance to businesses and other employers.
Outside of the office, Ryan spends enjoys spending time with his wife and three daughters, and is an avid skier and golfer. In addition to participating in different sports, he enjoys rooting for his favorite sports teams, including University of Notre Dame football and the Detroit Red Wings.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association, Business & Taxation Section, Past Chairman
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Business Network International, Holland I Chapter, Past President
- Lakeshore Leadership Association, Past President
- Deerview Estates Condominium Association, Past President
- Assisting for-profit and non-profit employers with employee benefits matters including: executive compensation planning and agreements; executive deferred compensation arrangements and plan funding; qualified benefit plan and trust design and administration; welfare benefit arrangements; fiduciary and regulatory compliance and reporting; IRS and DOL audits and appeals; plan mergers; spin-offs and transfers; and plan termination.
- Represented numerous buyers and sellers in asset or stock acquisitions ranging from $200K to $4M.
- Drafting and implementation of a wide variety of business contracts, including non-compete agreements, e-commerce transactions, software development agreements, and manufacturer’s representative agreements.
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1999
Michigan State University, B.A., Finance, 1996
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan