Hiring the right lawyer for criminal law matters is imperative. Rick Hillman understands the strategies used by both the prosecution and defense, and he uses this knowledge when planning his clients' defense.
Through his years of work on both sides of the law, Rick has developed relationships with police, prosecuting officials and judges. He has been extremely successful at raising legal issues that often result in improved outcomes for his clients. Rick has the courage and willingness to contest criminal cases by conducting hearings and going to trial.
His thoroughness and commitment to his clients leads to the best possible results in their cases. Rick's previous work has been instrumental in defining his current practice. Today, he spends the majority of his time handling:
- Criminal Litigation: Representing individuals accused of felonies and misdemeanors including drunk driving and traffic violations. He currently acts as Prosecutor for the City of Fenton and the city of DeWitt.
- Municipal Law: Representing Michigan cities, townships and counties, advice to city councils, zoning review and code enforcement, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act, Right to Farm Act and all types of municipal litigation. He also represents individuals in proceedings before municipalities.
- Driver's License Appeals: Representing individuals seeking license restoration before the Secretary of State and circuit courts.
Rick is a native of East Lansing. Prior to joining Foster Swift, he served as Assistant City Attorney for East Lansing and as Meridian Township Prosecutor.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Michigan Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Ingham County Bar Foundation, Past Board Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Criminal Law Section
- Ingham County Bar Association, Past Board Member
- Criminal Practice Section, Member
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Legal Aid of Central Michigan, Past Board Member
- St. Thomas Aquinas/St. John's Student Parish, Parishioner and Volunteer
- East Lansing Soccer Club, former Coach and Volunteer
- Lansing Catholic High School, former Hockey Coach and Volunteer
- MSU Extension Services, Master Gardner Trainee and Volunteer
- Currently, defending client on criminal charges involving the Flint Water Crisis.
- Has been appointed to act as special city attorney for the cities of East Lansing and Lansing.
- Prosecuted successfully several high profile riot cases on behalf of the City of East Lansing that received national coverage.
- Succeeded in obtaining an injunction to allow a Township to seize a performance bond from a developer that failed to complete a condominium development in accordance with an approved site plan. The Michigan Supreme Court affirmed the circuit court injunction.
- Succeeded in obtaining summary disposition, dismissing a claim of fraud against the seller of residential real property based on an underground storm drain. The Michigan Court of Appeals affirmed the circuit court decision in a published opinion.
- Successfully defended a Township in a lawsuit brought by a developer claiming the zoning ordinance unreasonably limited the development of rural residential lots. The decision was affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals and is an often cited precedent in the area of zoning and land use.
- Expungements are Now Possible for Non-Public Criminal Records, April 15, 2016
- Court of Appeals Rules Breath Test Inadmissible in MIP Case, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2009
- Michigan Court of Appeals Rules PBT Inadmissible in MIP Case, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, September 2009
- Cellular Towers on the Rise, Michigan Township News (Michigan Townships Association Publication), September 2002
News & Events
- Drunk Driving Defense, Presented to 2010 Ingham County Court Appointed Attorneys, May 22, 2010
- Criminal Defense Law, May 18, 2010
- Landlord Tenant Law, January 6, 2009
- The Law of Easements, and Michigan Zoning and Land Use Law, October 22, 2008
Marquette University Law School, J.D., 1987
Michigan State University, B.A., 1984
Honorable Thomas L. Brown
Ingham County Circuit Court and Michigan Court of Claims
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin