Paul Yared has more than 40 years of experience in insurance regulation, securities law and real estate development. He has focused most of his career on representing insurance entities, including stock and mutual insurers and agencies.
Paul served as counsel for Foremost Corporation of America for more than 25 years, with the last 14 years as Senior Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel. The Foremost Corporation was a publicly-held insurance holding company with its shares listed on the New York Stock Exchange. He played a key role in the auction and sale of Foremost in March 2000 to Farmers Insurance Group yielding more than $800 million for shareholders. His extensive experience in general business law and management skills is of benefit to most businesses.
Honors & Recognitions
Best Lawyers in America® 2010-2018, 2020-2021 (Corporate Law, Insurance Law)
"Top Lawyer", Grand Rapids Magazine, 2021 in Real Estate Law, Securities Law
"Top Lawyer", Grand Rapids Magazine, 2019 in Corporate Law, Real Estate Law
Michigan SuperLawyers 2010-2011
Memberships & Affiliations
- Michigan Bar Association
- Glen Arbor Township, Board of Review (2014-present)
- Education Freedom Fund, Secretary and Director (1999-2010)
- Boy Scouts of America, Troop 271 Committee Chairman (2002-2008)
- South Sheridan Lane Association, Glen Arbor, Michigan, Chairman & Treasurer (2009-Present)
- Represented a Michigan mutual insurer in its acquisition of another mutual insurer in 2015
- Handled legal aspects of the acquisition and development of a 600 acre real estate development, including an office park site condominium as part of the PUD.
- Represented a Michigan mutual insurance company in a demutualization, converting the insurer to stock-based ownership, and with an SEC registration for an initial public offering raising nearly $7 million of equity capital in 2004.
- Handled the SEC reporting for a publicly-held insurance holding company from 2004 through 2011.
- Represented a Michigan public company in the implementation of takeover defenses and advised it in the successful defense of a hostile takeover attempt.
- Represented a Michigan publicly-held insurance holding company in a board led auction and sale of the company in 2011.
- Advised a Michigan mutual insurance company on its conversion to a stock insurer and the formation of an insurance mutual holding company system in 2014.
News & Events
- Nine Attorneys Listed as Top Lawyers 2021, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 11, 2020
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Included in GR Magazine Top Lawyers 2019, Grand Rapids Magazine, December 2, 2019
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 2017 Best Lawyers in America® includes 44 Foster Swift Attorneys, August 15, 2016
University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1974
Michigan State University, B.A., Mathematics, 1971
Bar and Court Admissions