Pamela Dausman is a member of the firm's General Litigation Practice Group. She focuses her practice on employment litigation, insurance defense, and counseling employers on a wide array of employment matters. Pamela defends liability claims and employment discrimination claims against public and private employers. She also defends employers and governmental entities in civil rights, Title IX, and Section 1983 claims, and counsels clients on Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) issues. She has experience defending employers and achieving favorable results in state and federal court, the Michigan Department of Civil Rights, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Her experience and practice focus also includes:
Employment Law: In addition to years of experience defending her clients in court, she also counsels employers proactively to avoid exposure to future claims. She advises clients regarding unlawful discrimination, Family Medical Leave Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, drafting employee handbooks, employment contracts, and separation agreements.
Employment Litigation: Defending claims asserted under Title VII, Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, Whistleblowers Protection Act, among others. Her clients have included automotive, manufacturing, corporate, and school district employers.
Commercial Litigation and Insurance Defense: Pamela has experience handling contract disputes and disputes involving application of the Uniform Commercial Code. Pamela has also represented numerous individuals and business owners in premises liability claims and fire damage claims, and is experienced in litigating first and third party no-fault insurance claims.
Honors & Recognitions
Top 5 Lawyers under 35, Ingham County Bar Association 2010.
Michigan Defense Trial Counsel Golden Gavel Award 2012.
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Civil Procedure and Courts Committee, State Bar of Michigan
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association Labor and Employment Section, Co-Chair
- West Michigan Chapter of the Federal Bar Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Recently obtained summary judgment for an employer in a Family Medical
Leave Act case.
- Obtained summary disposition for an employer in an age discrimination claim.
- Obtained $20 million judgment for U.S. Steel.
- Obtained a no cause verdict for a school district employer in a gender discrimination case.
- Successfully defended a municipality in a claim challenging a sewer special assessment district.
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Labor & Employment Law
- Best Practices to Follow When Creating or Revising an Employee Handbook, October 2018 Employment Labor & Benefits News, October 2, 2018
- Insure Your Business Against Employment Related Legal Risks, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, February 29, 2016
- The Department of Labor Issues Updated FMLA Health Care Provider Certification Forms, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits News, June 30, 2015
- Michigan Supreme Court Reverses Court of Appeals and Holds That Pain and Suffering Damages Are Recoverable In Third-Party No-Fault Cases Arising Out of the Use of a Governmental Motor Vehicle, Foster Swift No-Fault E-News, December 23, 2014
- Michigan Supreme Court holds that No Fault Attorney Fees Cannot be Awarded on Benefits Not Overdue; Insurer is Not Obligated to Reconcile Conflicting Opinions of Insurer's Doctor and IME Physician, Foster Swift No-Fault E-News, January 6, 2009
- Michigan Supreme Court Holds that an Action Seeking Damages as a Result of an Insurer's Fraudulent Conduct is not Subject to the One-Year Back Rule, Foster Swift No-Fault E-News, June 27, 2008
News & Events
- Medicare, Insurance Fraud & No-Fault Automobile Insurance, Insurance Institute of Michigan's annual Claims Conference, September 28, 2009
- Medicare Secondary Payer Program: What Insurers Need to Know About New Federal Reporting Requirements, Insurance Institute of Michigan, September 2009
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., 2002, magna cum laude
Michigan State University, B.A., 1999, with High Honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan