Born and raised in Lansing, Mark joined Foster Swift in 2015. He is a member of the firm's Trust and Estates Practice Group. Mark advises and counsels clients in the following areas of law:
- Estate Planning — Works with clients to understand their unique goals and implement planning to achieve these goals, with a specific focus on the avoidance or reduction of federal income tax and federal estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer tax. Regularly drafts estate planning documents for clients, including wills, trusts, powers of attorney, and patient advocate documents.
- Estate and Trust Administration — Represents trustees in the administration of trust estates and personal representatives in the administration of probate estates, providing counsel to clients on their rights and duties under Michigan law when serving as a fiduciary. Additionally, Mark provides income tax planning and income tax compliance services to clients serving as a fiduciary.
- Business Organization and Planning — Assists business owners with entity formation (LLCs, corporations, partnerships, etc.), negotiates and drafts business contracts (lease agreements, buy-sell agreements, etc.), and counsels clients on a variety of business issues, including tax planning and business succession planning.
- Estate and Trust Litigation — Represents trustees, personal representatives, and beneficiaries in probate court litigation, including will and trust contests, actions brought against a trustee or personal representative, and the construction of wills and trusts.
Prior to attending law school, Mark obtained his Certified Public Accountant license and practiced public accounting in the Detroit office of KPMG LLP.
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section, Board Member
- State Bar of Michigan
- Taxation Section
- Young Tax Lawyers Committee, Member
- Business Section
- Probate & Estate Section
- Tax Committee, Member
- Taxation Section
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants (MICPA)
- American Academy of Attorney- CPAs
- Greater Lansing Estate Planning Council, Board of Directors
- Grand River Connection, Board of Directors
- Sparrow Foundation
- Gift Planning Work Group, Member
- It's Not Always Sunny in Private Equity: Analysis and Impact of the First Circuit's Sun Capital Decision, Arizona State Law Journal, 2014
News & Events
- Foster Swift Welcomes Four New Attorneys, December 7, 2015
- Advance Directives for Health Care, Greater Lansing Estate Planning Council, September 2016
Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law, Arizona State University, J.D. 2015, cum laude
Eli Broad College of Business, Michigan State University, M.S., Accounting, 2010
Eli Broad College of Business, Michigan State University, B.A., Accounting, 2009
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Tax Court