- Commercial Litigation: breach of contract; collections, construction law; insurance coverage; real estate; administrative hearings; appellate practice.
- Domestic Relations/Family Law: divorce; child custody, parenting time, child and spousal support issues; personal protection orders; Friend of the Court hearings; parent and grandparents' rights; guardianship; non-marital domestic relationships.
- Insurance Defense: personal injury and property damage claims; insurance coverage issues; fraud investigations; No-fault automobile insurance claims; appellate practice.
- Insurance Regulatory & Business: licensing issues; representation of insurance companies in administrative hearings and before the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services.
He serves as leader of the firm's Family Law Practice Area. In recognition of his professionalism, John is a fellow of the Michigan State Bar Foundation. This designation is based upon professional excellence and community contributions and is limited to just five percent of the State Bar of Michigan active members. He is also a member of the Advocates Guild of the Michigan Supreme Court Historical Society which is limited to those who have presented oral argument to the Michigan Supreme Court.
Honors & Recognitions
BV® Distinguished™ Martindale-Hubbell
Michigan State Bar Foundation Fellow
Michigan Supreme Court Historical Society-Advocates Guild
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States Courts Committee, 2011 - 2016
- Family Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Family Law Section
- Federal Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- ACADEMIC POSITION: Western Michigan Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Adjunct Professor for Pre-Trial Skills, 2016
- Ingham County Sobriety Court Foundation, President
- Legal Services of South Central Michigan, Pro Bono Attorney
Certifications and Licenses:
- Family Law Certification Program, Institute of Continuing Legal Education
- Successful representation of clients in complex divorce cases involving issues of child custody, parenting time, child support and spousal support, as well as division of assets and debts in cases involving multi-million dollar marital estates
- Successful representation of clients with children in circuit courts and Friend of the Court hearings throughout the state of Michigan addressing change of custody, change of domicile to or from other states, parenting time schedule, child support reviews, guardianships and petitions regarding parental rights
Personal Injury, Commercial Litigation
- Obtained an Order of Dismissal in favor of Texas clients following discovery proceedings throughout the U.S. in a case believed to be of first impression within the State of Michigan concerning allegations of tortious conduct arising out of the actions of competitors during national horse shows.
- Received a multi-million dollar confidential settlement valued as one of the top 5 settlements in the State of Michigan for the year of 2008 as compiled by Michigan Lawyers Weekly following successful oral argument at the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals resulting in a published decision in favor of the client.
- Obtained a favorable jury verdict exonerating Nebraska client (defendant) following trial in the U.S. District Court in a complex case involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty and duty of loyalty, unjust enrichment and conspiracy.
- Obtained Order of Dismissal in favor of clients arising out of allegations of malicious prosecution, conspiracy, abuse of process and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Was affirmed following successful oral arguments and drafting of briefs in both the Michigan Supreme Court and the Court of Appeals.
- Complex construction and civil rights case resulting in published Court of Appeals decision, 265 Mich App 434; 695 NW2d 521 (2005), in favor of the client (project owner).
- Soil Contamination: Lessons to be Learned, Foster Swift Construction Law News, November 2008
- Independent Medical Evaluations: Are you Entitled to Collect No Show/Cancellation Fees and May an Examinee and his Attorney Place Conditions on your Independent Medical Evaluation Procedures?, Foster Swift Health Care Law Report, April 2008
News & Events
- Michigan Court of Appeals Reiterates That Worker’s Compensation Claims Are the Exclusive Remedy for Injured Employees, Detroit Legal News, May 1, 2018
- Eight Foster Swift Attorneys Admitted to Practice Before Supreme Court, November 2, 2012
- Ingham County Sobriety Court Foundation Celebrates 10th Anniversary, Ingham County Sobriety Court Foundation, October 26, 2018
- Fire and Ice: Effective Examinations Under Oath in Fire Loss Claims, Insurance Alliance of Michigan’s Annual Claims Seminar, September 24, 2018
- Ingham County Sobriety Court Annual Breakfast, Ingham County Sobriety Court Foundation/Foster Swift, October 20, 2017
- Divorce Mediation, ICLE Family Law Institute, November 2016
- How to Represent a Party in a Mediation, Institute of Continuing Legal Education - Family Law Institute
- Defending, Cross-Examining, and Everything in Between, Institute of Continuing Legal Education Seminar: The Independent Medical Examiner - Moderator and Speaker, April 27, 2016
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 1993
Purdue University, B.S., 1986
Bar and Court Admissions
Michigan Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court