John Kamins is known for his work with clients in diverse, high-level business, finance, securities and governance matters. He joined Foster Swift in 2009 with a well-established practice in entertainment, corporate, public finance, and non-profit corporate law.
John counsels music, film and other entertainment industry clients in Michigan and nationally, including with respect to intellectual property rights, the State of Michigan’s film production incentives and infrastructure development tax credits, and business and contractual matters. His clients include musical artists, bands, producers and songwriters; record labels and music publishing companies; movie studios, producers, screenwriters and actors; managers; playwrights; authors; and models. In 2008, he was elected Secretary and Council Member of the State Bar of Michigan’s Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Law Section for the 2008-2009 term.
He is a frequent speaker to legal and industry groups and associations. His most recent topics include municipal borrowing in a down economy and negotiating labor issues when making movies in Michigan.
John has also been a leader for years in charitable organizations, both nationally and in Greater Detroit. These include the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and Goodwill Industries as well as active involvement in the Michigan and Florida bar associations.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Arts, Communications, Entertainment & Sports Section, Past Chairman
- Public Corporation Law Section, Past Chairman
- The Florida Bar
- Section of Entertainment, Arts & Sports Law
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Opinion Committee, Past Vice Chair
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Past Chair
- The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society-Michigan Chapter, Past President
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Detroit Foundation, Past President
- Temple Beth El, Bloomfield Hills, Board of Trustees, Past President
- Since 2006, John has represented two related songwriters in their long-running contract to write music for the leading syndicated talk show hosted by a woman.
- John has also counseled studios, record labels, and a wide variety of artists and others in contractual, transactional and intellectual property matters.
News & Events
- Making Movies in Michigan - Negotiating Union Contracts, Institute of Continuing Legal Education (ICLE) and Arts, Communications, Entertainment and Sports Section of the State Bar of Michigan (ACES)., June 3, 2010
- Educational Facilities, Cultural Facilities and Other Non-Healthcare 501(c)(3) Financings, National Association of Bond Lawyers, 2008-2010
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1970
University of Michigan, B.A., 1968
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, Washington, D.C.