As a member of the firm's Business and Tax Group, James Jensen primarily practices in business entity selection, organization and planning, business succession planning, commercial litigation, corporate transactions, family-owned businesses, food, hospitality and alcohol industry services, general counsel, mergers and acquisitions, taxation and tax planning, telecommunications as well as trade secret and non-compete contracts. Over the last several decades, Jim has gained a wide range of experience helping his individual clients and business clients overcome challenges and seize opportunities.
In addition to his legal work for clients, Jim has been active in the management of the firm. He is a shareholder and served on the firm’s Executive Committee and was the vice president of the firm’s Lansing office from 2012-2017.
Jim was born in Detroit, Michigan. He is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Michigan State University graduate, where he was a member of the Beta Alpha Psi Honorary Accounting Fraternity. He received his legal education at the University of Michigan, graduating in 1980.
Jim is active in several professional organizations including the Michigan and American Bar Associations, the Ingham County Bar Association and the Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers® 2022 Corporate Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers® 2015 and Best Lawyers® 2020 Tax Law "Lawyer of the Year" in Lansing
Best Lawyers in America® 2005-2022 (Corporate Law; Mergers and Acquisitions Law; Tax Law)
NALS of Lansing's Boss of the Year, 2007
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
- Assisted Michigan manufacturer in connection with $44 million sale of its business to an out-of-state, publicly-held corporation.
- Assisted Michigan food processor in connection with $20 million sale of its business to a private equity fund.
News & Events
- Best Lawyers® 2022 "Lawyer of the Year", August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2022 Best Lawyers in America©, August 19, 2021
- Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2021 Best Lawyers in America©, August 20, 2020
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" 2020, August 15, 2019
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Entity Selection, Organization & Planning
- Business Succession Planning
- Commercial Litigation
- Family Owned Businesses
- Food, Hospitality & Liquor Law
- General Counsel
- Mergers & Acquisitions, Strategic Transactions & Alliances
- Business & Tax
- Business Law
- Business Contracts
- Energy, Oil & Gas Law
- Michigan Tax
- Securities Law
- Tax Law
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1980
Michigan State University, B.A., 1975, with honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan