With nearly 44 years of experience, Gary has earned a reputation for handling sophisticated transactions for health systems, hospitals, managed care organizations, HMOs, health insurers, physician groups and other provider entities. He helps clients manage complex regulatory issues including compliance with the Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law and the False Claims Act. He has handled RAC, CMS, Medicaid and Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan reimbursement appeals.
In addition to his health care work, Gary's business law clients include corporations seeking counsel for mergers, acquisitions and sale transactions. His business clients rely on him for a wide range of services, including creation of corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and federal taxation issues. Gary also handles administrative, tax court and federal court appeals, with an emphasis on tax-exempt work for exempt organizations, including unrelated business income tax issues and TBOR 2 issues.
Gary's international law practice includes the representation of foreign corporations in Michigan. This has included establishing an EB-Center and facilitating joint ventures and strategic alliances as well as acquisitions and direct investments. His EB-5 Center has the only successful EB-5 project in Michigan.
Gary is a prolific author and invited speaker on issues involving the intersection of health care and the law. He has been published more than 30 times over the years in a variety of periodicals, including Michigan Health & Hospitals magazine.
Additionally, Gary and other members of the firm's health care team have represented health care clients in Accountable Care Organizations, affiliations, physician networks, member substitutions and mergers and acquisitions. Gary has also completed many joint ventures between hospitals, physicians and healthcare vendors. These have included joint ventures involving ambulatory surgery centers, dialysis units, mobile lithotripsy, home care and rehabilitation businesses.
Combined with his leadership role and busy practice, Gary is active in the Michigan bar and served as chair of its Health Law Section and presently sits on the Lansing Chamber of Commerce PAC Board.
Gary has also been a staunch supporter of the art community, including membership on the board of directors and a term as president of the Lansing Art Gallery. He also served as president of Michigan State University's Wharton Center for the Performing Arts Advisory Board and as an officer and board member of the Center for the Arts.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 1993-2020 (Health Care Law)
Michigan Super Lawyers, Health Care, 2007-2019
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Law Section, Fellow and Former Chairperson
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- American Immigration Lawyers Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- American Health Lawyers Association
- MSU's Wharton Center for the Performing Arts, Advisory Board, past president
- Center for the Arts and Junior Achievement, past president
- Lansing Art Gallery, Board of Directors, past president
- Lansing Rotary, past member
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
- Can a Non-Physician Own and Operate a Medical Facility in Michigan?
- OIG Recommends Audits of Meaningful Use Incentive Payments
- What’s Next After Health Care Bill’s Failure in Congress?
- DOJ Starts Cracking Down on Individual Health Care Executives for False Claims Act and Stark Law Violations Committed by Their Companies
- CMS Final Rule on Reporting and Returning of Overpayments Has Potentially Only an Eight-Month Safe Harbor
- Quality versus Quantity Transformation in Healthcare Picks Up Pace as CMS Issues New Rules
- CARE Act Legislation Signed Into Law By Governor Snyder and Set to Take Effect July 12th
- Is Losing Money by Employing Physicians a Stark Violation?
- Department of Justice Enters Into Record-Breaking Stark Law Settlement
- Quality vs. Quantity: Accountable Care Organization Results Keep Coming, as Does Some Criticism
- How do the OFAC Regulations Apply to Health Insurance Policies?, Foster Swift Healthcare Law E-Blast, August 2, 2017
- Significant Stark Law Changes in 2016 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule Intended to Ease Compliance Burden, Foster Swift Health Care Law News, January 4, 2016
- Protecting the Hospital Tax Exemption Part IV: Billing and Collection Requirements, Foster Swift Health Care Law News, April 23, 2015
- Protecting the Hospital Tax Exemption Part III: The Financial Assistance Policy, Foster Swift Health Care Law News, March 31, 2015
- Protecting the Hospital Tax Exemption Part II: The Community Health Needs Assessment, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, March 4, 2015
- Protecting The Hospital Tax Exemption By Complying With Section 501(r) Regulations, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, February 6, 2015
News & Events
- Legal Issues and Trends Involving Payment for Quality and Cost Reductions in Managed Care Contracting, January 20, 2016
- The Problems and Solutions Involving Healthcare, Michigan State International Law Review, February 20, 2015
- Greater Lansing: Leading Healthcare Innovation, Lansing Regional Chamber, October 30, 2014
- The Success of EB-5 Centers in Attracting Talent, Michigan Economic Developers Association, August 23, 2012
- An Explanation of the EB-5 Foreign Investor VISA Program, Lexwork International, November 9, 2011
- EB-5 Foreign Investor VISA Program, J.P. Morgan Chase, October 4, 2011
- 23 Attorneys Selected to 2019 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars”, Automation Alley, September 3, 2019
- 42 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed as Best Lawyers® 2020, August 15, 2019
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1972
University of Michigan, B.A., 1969
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan