Frank Reynolds is a shareholder in the firm’s General Litigation Group. His practice focuses on state and federal criminal defense and professional licensing including at the State Bar of Michigan — before the Character and Fitness Standing Committee and for Attorney Discipline matters. He has successfully defended many high profile cases in Ingham County and throughout Michigan. Through his career he has tried more than 250 cases — everything from a simple misdemeanor to the capital offense murder.
Frank's passion is teaching and developing young professionals. He has presented and lectured across Michigan to educational, charitable and professional legal organizations, high school classes, community college and college classes. He has also served in adjunct professorships at both Western Michigan University Cooley Law School and Michigan State University College of Law.
In recognition of his contributions to the practice of law and his commitment to ensuring high standards of practice, he has received numerous awards and recognitions, including induction into the American College of Trial Lawyers in London, England in 2014, leadership positions in the local and state bar associations, numerous selections as Special Prosecutor, appointments to boards and inclusion in Best Lawyers® in America, Michigan Super Lawyers and appointment by former U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, William H. Rehnquist, to the Magistrate Judge Education Advisory Committee of the Federal Judicial Center. Frank served on the Judicial Qualifications Committee of the State Bar of Michigan. He formerly chaired the State Bar of Michigan Standing Committee on Character and Fitness and is a life member Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Frank received his law degree from the Western Michigan University Cooley Law School and holds a Master of Arts degree and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Michigan State University.
He is admitted to practice in Michigan and in the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2001-2019 (Bet-the-Company Litigation; Criminal Defense: White-Collar; Family Law; Criminal Defense: General Practice)
Michigan Super Lawyers Criminal Defense, 2005-2018
Leo Farhat Outstanding Attorney Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2001
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan, Judicial Qualifications Committee
- Member of the State Bar of Michigan Judicial Qualifications Committee (former)
- Ingham County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Western Michigan Chapter
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Ingham County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan
- Historical Society of the Western District of Michigan
- National Sentencing Association (former)
- Ingham County Sobriety Court Foundation, Board of Directors (Founding Member) Emeritus
- American Inns of Court, Michigan State University College of Law Chapter, Emeritus Member
- Judicial Conference of the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, Life Member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Michigan Capital Region, Board of Directors (former)
- Successfully achieved a declination to authorize the death penalty by the U.S. Attorney General.
- Earned acquittals in numerous criminal jury trials.
- Negotiated major pleas in numerous state and federal criminal cases.
6th Circuit Court of Appeals:
1. Merit Review Panel for Federal Public Defender for Western District of
2. Merit Selection Panel FPD, WDMI (2002)
3. Merit Selection Panel for Western District of Michigan (2000)
- District Court – Western District of Michigan:
Merit Selection Panel For Magistrate Judge, Western District of Michigan
- United States Supreme Court:
Federal Judicial Center – Magistrate Judges Education Committee (2001)
Reappointment By USSC Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist (2004)
- An Adventure to the Bottom of the World, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, February 2010
- Michigan Sentencing Guidelines Calculation, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, 1996
- High Profile Cases and the Media, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, 1995
- Community Corrections, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, 1992
- Domestic Relations-Mediation/Trial, Ingham County Bar Association Briefs, 1992
News & Events
- 31 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2018 Michigan Super Lawyers and “Rising Stars” Lists, September 10, 2018
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Building a Trial Book, Foster Swift CLE Room Lansing, August 18, 2010
- Seminar for Criminal Defense Attorneys, May 22, 2010
- Panel Program - Claude McCollum Case "Justice or Injustice", HOM TV hosted by JoAnne Paul, April 2010
- Prosecutor Intern Training, Prosecuting Attorneys Association of Michigan, 2010
- CSI Effect, Thomas M. Cooley Law Review, October 14, 2009
- Justice Panel Member, Eaton County Circuit Court, June 30, 2009
Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 1978
Michigan State University, M.A., 1975, Education Administration and Curriculum
Michigan State University, B.A., 1971, Social Science/Teacher Certification; Psychology Minor
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals