Dirk Beckwith practices in the areas of commercial litigation, transportation and logistics, construction and insurance defense. He represents clients in state and federal courts across Michigan and has successfully argued appeals in both Michigan and U.S. Appellate Courts. He also serves as a mediator, case evaluator in Michigan Circuit and District Courts, and is an arbitrator with the American Arbitration Association.
Dirk has a wealth of experience representing transportation companies, motor carriers and railroads. He is known for his responsiveness and for immersing himself in understanding his clients' business. He has litigated cases involving the interpretation of transportation contracts, the application of tariffs and shipments moved pursuant to bills of lading.
He also vigorously defends trucking companies in cargo claim litigation and against claims for personal injury. He was recently involved in several landmark decisions for the trucking and railroad industries. Additionally, he has handled both regulatory and administrative matters before the FMCSA and STB for those engaged in the transportation industry.
He also has significant success handling Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) claims as well as representing owners, general contractors and suppliers in disputes arising out of construction contracts.
Dirk is a past president of the Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA) and currently serves as a voting past president for TLA. Dirk previously served as a regional vice president of the Association for Transportation Law Professionals. He is also a member of the Trucking Insurance Defense Association and the Defense Research Institute. He actively participates in each of these associations as well as the Transportation Loss Prevention and Security Association and the Conference of Freight Counsel. Dirk is a frequent speaker and attendee at all of these organizations’ meetings and attends DRI trucking seminars and TIDA sponsored events.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2018 (Construction Law)
Michigan Super Lawyers 2013-2017 (Business Litigation)
Distinguished Service Award, Transportation Lawyers Association, 2016
Exemplary Service Award, Association of Transportation Law Professionals, 2007
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Transportation Lawyers Association, past president (2013-2014)
- Association of Transportation Law Professionals
- State Bar of Michigan
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, fellow
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, fellow
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Trucking Insurance Defense Association
- Transportation Loss Prevention and Security Association
- Conference of Freight Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- In 2017, was involved in two separate lawsuits when the Court relying on recent Supreme Court decisions, found that jurisdiction over the corporate defendant was not proper and dismissed the case in the forum court for lack of jurisdiction.
- Served as neutral arbitrator in a dispute between two short line railroads to resolve a dispute involving the interpretation of a transportation contract entered into by the railroads in 1992. (2017)
- Successfully obtained summary judgment of state law claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, fraud, negligence and bailment based upon Carmack Amendment preemption for Class I railroad that was contracted to ship perishable goods from Michigan to the country of Jordan. (2017). Learn more about case here.
- Mediated dispute between motor carrier and two companies involving three Master Transportation Service Agreements. Motor carrier was seeking recovery of nearly $150,000.00 for unpaid transportation services. (2017)
- Mediated dispute between a transportation broker and consignee involving claim seeking payment for 35 unpaid shipments. (2016)
- Successfully defended motor carrier and its truck driver in the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan in a case seeking to recover personal property damages after a tractor-trailer rolled into a nearby warehouse. The case hinged upon the Court's analysis of whether the accident and resulting property damage arose from the tractor-trailer's use as a motor vehicle. The court dismissed the lawsuit and held that Michigan's no-fault act governed the dispute and that the one-year limitations period applied. (2016) Learn more about case here.
- Mediated dispute between a motor carrier and consignee named in bills of lading involving motor carrier's claim for recovery of more than $5 million dollars in unpaid freight charges. (2015)
- Served as neutral arbitrator in a three person arbitration panel in a dispute between a shipper and a third party logistics provider involving a Transportation Management and Logistics Services Agreement. The shipper claimed the third party logistics provider wrongfully terminated the agreement resulting in nearly $3 million dollars in damages to the shipper. (2011)
- Successfully defended motor carrier in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan in a case seeking payment of personal injury protection benefits for driver who drove his motor cycle into motor carrier's tractor-trailer. Michigan law (MCL 500.3102) requires that an owner or registrant of a motor vehicle maintain security if the vehicle is operated in Michigan for more than 30 days in a calendar year. In this case, based on on-board computer and dispatch records the court held the motor carrier was not liable because the tractor and trailer were in Michigan less than 30 days during the calendar year. (2006)
Other Representative Matters:
- Vigorously defends motor carriers in personal injury litigation and cargo claims.
- Provides 24/7 Emergency Response Team in fatal accidents involving motor carriers.
- Represents railroads before the Surface Transportation Board (STB) in a variety of matters including but not limited to freight railroad rate and service disputes, and abandonment proceedings.
- Represents motor carriers before the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) in a variety of matters including registration and licensing, regulatory compliance, safety and security, DOT audits, compliance reviews, administrative reviews, enforcement penalties, CSA and other proceedings relating to safety ratings.
- Represents insurance companies in situations where there are competing beneficiaries to life insurance proceeds, and the insurance company wants to avoid the risk of paying twice.
- Represents clients in disputes to foreclose liens on private construction projects as well as suits against bonds furnished on connection with public projects.
- Represents both manufacturers and purchasers of sophisticated machinery involving claims arising under the Uniform Commercial Code, including matters involving disputes regarding express and implied warranties.
- Frost Law: Are you complying with Spring Weight Restrictions?, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, February 27, 2018
- Top 10 Things to Do When You Are Involved In a Motor Vehicle Accident, October 2017 Agricultural Law Newsletter, October 26, 2017
- When Trucks Spill Their Load, October 2017 Agricultural Law Newsletter, October 26, 2017
- Spring Weight Restrictions are in Effect, Foster Swift Agricultural Law News, February 14, 2017
- Court of Appeals Holds Owner Can be Held Liable for Negligence Because of Defective Front-End Loader, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, August 21, 2014
- Spring Brings Weight Restrictions on Michigan Roads, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, March 14, 2014
News & Events
- 30 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2017 Michigan Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists, September 8, 2017
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Court Found Shipper's Assertion that Goods Never Left Michigan was Contradicted by its Second Amended Complaint, June 8, 2017
- Court Dismisses Case Where Real Property Damage Was Caused by Tractor-trailer's Use as a Motor Vehicle, September 21, 2016
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Hot Legal Tips – Don’t Get Burned: Broker – Carrier Liability; Misclassification – Independent Contractor vs. Employee; New Cases., Supply Chain Cargo & Security Summit 2017, June 29, 2017
- Between a Rock and a Hard Place: Broker Liability and Ability to Recover for Cargo Loss and Damage Claims, Transportation and Logistics Council, March 21, 2017
- What Brokers, Carriers and Shippers Have to Know About the New Federal Legislation MAP-21, Transportation Loss Prevention & Security Association National Conference, April 21, 2015
- Rapid Response Teams and On Site Investigations: The Front Line Defense, American Conference Institute, March 25, 2015
- Road Laws for Farmers, Great Lakes Crop Summit, January 28-29, 2015
- Cargo Claims, American Conference Institute's 4th National Forum, March 31, 2014
Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1983
University of Michigan, B.A., 1980
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court