Brian Renaud provides general counsel services to mature and second stage companies and to governmental entities. His role as general counsel encompasses day-to-day advising on corporate finance, real estate, contracts, insurance, licensing, regulatory, municipal and litigation matters. Brian is vice president of the firm in its Southfield office and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee.
Brian’s work for corporate, institutional and government clients includes:
- Business: Contract negotiation and drafting, including finance and non-competition agreements, real estate transactions and insurance coverage matters
- Municipal: Municipal contracting, ordinance drafting and implementation, Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act compliance, eminent domain proceedings
- Regulatory: Transactional due diligence, environmental permitting and compliance, and regulation negotiations
- Litigation: Complex cases and appeals at all levels of the state and federal court systems, including administrative litigation before various state and federal agencies and tribunals
Companies and governmental entities represented in Brian’s role as general counsel include an international manufacturer of professional sports equipment, a health care services provider with facilities in nine states, an international trucking and logistics company, and several Michigan municipalities, intergovernmental authorities and road commissions.
In addition to his legal practice, Brian is past Chairman and current Board Member on the Governing Board of Lexwork International, a network of independent law firms in North America, South America, Europe and Asia, offering business and regulatory law services to clients worldwide.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2013-2019 (Administrative / Regulatory Law)
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- International Right of Way Association
- Community Leadership Development Academy, Graduate
- Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce, PAC Board Member
- Licensed Michigan Real Estate Broker
- Detroit Athletic Club, Resident Member
Business, Real Estate & Finance:
- Represented health care services provider in multi-state acquisition, financing and construction of acute care hospital facilities and development properties.
- Negotiated multi-million dollar casualty insurance settlement for structural steel contractor engaged on university sports arena construction project.
- Obtained complete dismissal of a $700,000 federal withholding tax claim against a national business services owner.
- Developed regulatory policy and procedure manuals for major Midwest financial institution. Conducted policy implementation training sessions in several states.
Regulatory and Municipal:
- Negotiated air emission regulation package with state environmental agency that eliminated in excess of $100 million in client capital expenditure requirements for utility, cement and paper products client group.
- Managed regulatory and media response of Tier 1 automotive parts manufacturer to hazardous substance release, avoiding adverse publicity and significantly reducing remediation costs.
- Negotiated state and federal operating permits for contested Great Lakes marina development. Managed media coverage issues and negotiated conservation easement with state permitting authority.
- Negotiated six figure, no-cost municipal marina reconstruction claim in favor of major Michigan municipality.
- Successfully litigated exemption of a $45 million waste conversion facility from state personal property taxes, reducing the client’s annual tax liability by $2.5 million.
- Obtained dismissal of an eminent domain challenge to a major pipeline construction project.
- Obtained $1.8-million-dollar summary disposition in an environmental fraud and cost recovery case of first impression in Michigan.
- Obtained summary judgment in a high-profile federal whistleblower case of first impression for a national paper products client.
- Obtained unanimous Federal Court jury verdict against former employee and agent of international sports equipment manufacturer in federal trademark law and unfair competition litigation.
Recent Blog Posts
News & Events
- 45 Foster Swift Attorneys Listed in Best Lawyers in America© 2019, August 15, 2018
- Foster Swift Elects Executive Committee Members for 2018, February 13, 2018
- 46 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2018 Best Lawyers in America®, August 21, 2017
- Foster Swift Elects 2017 Executive Committee, February 13, 2017
- Foster Swift Elects 2016 Executive Committee, March 21, 2016
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Foster Swift wins Federal Court Jury Verdict for Internationally Recognized Manufacturer of Custom Hockey Equipment, November 14, 2014
- State Bar of Michigan- Professionalism in Action Program, State Bar of Michigan, August 13, 2012
- Recent Developments in Michigan Environmental Law, Lorman Education Services, March 2005
- Law for the Real Estate Professional, October 2002
- Try to See it My Way: Dealing with the Regulatory Process, Illinois State Bar Association, September 2001
University of Detroit School of Law, J.D., 1982
Western Michigan University, B.S.
Bar and Court Admissions
Michigan Supreme Court
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit