Brett Schlender is a skilled and meticulous litigator who enjoys helping people through challenging circumstances. Recognizing the attorney-client relationship requires exceptional trust, he prioritizes communication and rational advice. He finds and delivers to his clients the facts necessary to make informed decisions. When settlement is unfeasible, Brett is well equipped to achieve favorable results in court.
Brett counsels individuals through periods of transition. He specializes in divorce, custody, child support, spousal support, personal protection orders, and other disputes personal in nature. Brett has settled multi-million dollar marital estates, prevailed in complex asset-valuation disputes, and helped clients tailor divorce settlements to meet their foreseeable needs. He has considerable experience managing business disputes, both generally and in the context of divorce. As a certified domestic mediator, Brett is a shrewd negotiator who adeptly manages conflict in contentious disputes.
Regularly practicing in domestic courts with broad powers to issue orders, Brett has carved out a niche in litigating contempt proceedings. He has presented on contempt procedure and best practices when a client is accused of violating a court order. With this experience, Brett excels at drafting orders that provide parties clear rules to manage relationships beyond the courtroom.
In real estate, Brett handles both litigation and transactions. He advises area brokers and real estate professionals on licensure issues, due diligence, and risk management. He counsels homeowner associations and designs the legal framework for condominium and other real estate developments. Brett's expertise extends to title coverage issues, quiet title actions, condemnation proceedings, boundary disputes, and misrepresentations in land sales.
Brett practices throughout West Michigan. His core skills of managing conflict, discovering and presenting facts, and written advocacy translate well in other areas. He has experience litigating contract disputes, insurance coverage issues, and personal injury actions.
Brett lives in Holland, where he enjoys spending time with his family, reading, and playing golf. He is an avid sports fan with a particular passion for baseball and the Chicago Cubs. He is President of the Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity Board of Directors.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity, Board of Directors, 2014 - present
- President, 2018 - present
- Ohio Northern University Moot Court Executive Board, 2009-2010
- AT53, Inc., Board of Directors, 2012 - 2018
- Christian Businessmen's Coalition, Grand Rapids Chapter
- Hillman Trial Advocacy Program, 2019 graduate
Recent Blog Posts
Your Family Law Advocate Blog
- Child Custody and the Anti-vaxxers' Rights of Dissent
- Stay at Which Home? Parenting Time in a Pandemic
- What to Expect When You’re Expecting (a Divorce)
- Property Division Explained
- Fault in a No-Fault Divorce State
- What can a family law attorney help with?
- Welcome to Your Family Law Advocate Blog
- Finding "The One": Perspectives on Hiring a Divorce Attorney
News & Events
- Discovery Guidelines and Case Management Tips, Institute for Paralegal Education (IPE): Divorce Cases From Start to Finish for Paralegals, May 21, 2019
- Discovery Guidelines and Case Management Tips, Institute for Paralegal Education (IPE): Divorce Cases From Start to Finish for Paralegals, May 16, 2019
- Family law blog provides a plain English legal perspective, June 25, 2019
- Schlender Provides Perspective on Divorce Cases, April 25, 2019
- Lakeshore Habitat for Humanity Elects Schlender as President, October 1, 2018
- Foster Swift Welcomes Brett Schlender to Holland Office, April 18, 2017
Ohio Northern University College of Law, J.D., 2010
Hope College, B.A., 2006
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana