Legal Essentials to Export Toolkit: Intellectual Property & Foreign Business Partner Contract Seminar
A half-day, one day only education program designed to assist businesses in identifying legal and compliance issues that need to be addressed prior to pursuing export opportunities. Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC attorneys Jean Schtokal and John Mashni will be speakers for this event that will be held at Foster Swift's Grand Rapids office (1700 E. Beltline NE-Suite 200-49525) from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Topics Covered in the Trademark/Service Mark Readiness include:
- Types of intellectual property and the importance of protecting intellectual property when exporting
- Process & time frame for protecting intellectual property in foreign countries
- Available resources to combat infringement
- Tips on avoiding litigation and conflict related to US and international trademark infringement
Specific topics in the Foreign Agent/Distributor Due Diligence and Contracts include:
- Resources available to help with due diligence regarding foreign business partners
- Why due diligence is important
- How international contracts are different than domestic contracts
- 10 key issues to reduce risk in international contracts with business partners
Representatives from both EXIM (Export-Import Bank of the United States-Eduard Ekel) and the SBA (Small Business Association-John O'Gara) and the USEAC (US Department of Commerce Export Assistance Center in Grand Rapids-Kendra Kuo), will also be available to provide information about their programs and answer attendee questions. A very special thanks to the MEDC for sponsorship. While these seminars are free to attend, registration is required and can be found here.