Iris joined Foster Swift's Business and Tax Practice Group as a shareholder in 2011 bringing thirty-plus years experience. Her practice focuses extensively in corporate and securities work. Iris has experience representing companies in connection with fund formation and private placements of securities, as well as SEC reporting and registration. She also works on venture capital and angel investment transactions, representing both investors and portfolio companies. In addition, Iris represents oil and gas exploration and development companies, technology companies and others with respect to financing and corporate matters, and non-profit corporations with respect to corporate and tax matters.
Iris is a graduate of Michigan State University and earned her law degree from the University of Michigan Law School. In addition to her practice, she is active in the American Bar Association's Private Equity and Venture Capital Committee, and Federal Regulation of Securities Committee, and the State Bar of Michigan's Securities Regulation Committee. From 1998 through 2003, Iris served as adjunct faculty for the Thomas M. Cooley Law School, teaching securities regulation. She is a regular author and lecturer on securities and venture capital matters. It's for all these reasons that Iris has become such a highly sought after securities and corporate finance attorney in Lansing MI.
- Represented publicly traded oil and gas exploration and development company in a $72 million public offering and all of its SEC reporting.
- Prepared numerous private placement memoranda used to raise money to finance exploration and drilling costs for projects generally ranging in size from $5 million to $20 million.
- Assisted several clients in establishing venture capital funds.
- Prepared numerous private placement memoranda to help clients in the technology sector raise capital.
- Assisted a client in the creation of a mortgage fund.
- Represented both portfolio company and venture capital/angel investor clients in venture capital and angel investment transactions.
- Represented a long time client in a highly profitable sale of his company to a large private equity fund.
- Corporate counsel for various clients relating to mergers and acquisitions as well as corporate governance and general contract matters.
- How to Use Legal Counsel When Raising Capital
- JOBS Act Aims to Ease Access to Capital
- Michigan Venture Capital Update
- SEC Issues New Rule on Accredited Investors
- SEC Proposes Rules to Permit General Solicitation for Private Placement Offerings Limited to Accredited Investors
- Venture Investment Income Tax Credit
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Private Equity and Venture Capital, and Federal Regulation of Securities Committees of the Business Law Section
- State Bar of Michigan
- Securities Regulation Subcommittee
- Ingham County Bar Association
Industry & Professional Affiliations:
- Lansing Economic Area Partnership (LEAP) Board (2013-present), Steering Committee (2014)
- Member, Michigan Venture Capital Association
- Member, Capital Community Angels (2006-present)
- Lansing Area SmartZone Consortium Board (2006-2007)
- The Venture Center, Inc., Director (1996-2001), Chairperson (1999-2001)
- Fraser Trebilcock Davis & Dunlap, P.C., Board of Directors (1992-1996; 2006-2009)
- Michigan Office of Financial and Insurance Services, Securities Advisory Council (1991-2001)
- Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Mentor, Athena Powerlink Program (2007)
- Board member (1987-1992)
- Vice President of Government Affairs Division (1991-1992)
- LRC-PAC Board (1990-1996) (Chairperson 1995-1996)
- Nominating Committee (1988, 1999, 2000)
- City of Lansing, Mayor’s Parking Advisory Committee (1990-1993)
- Capitol Enterprise Forum, Director (1989-1995), President (1993)
- Advisor to Law Explorers Club (2006)
- Girl Scout Leader for at-risk girls (2001-2003)
- Capital Area United Way (Board member, 1994-2001; Long Range Planning Committee Chairperson, 2000-2001)
- Congregation Kehillat Israel, Treasurer (1995-1996)
- Shared Vision Systems and Research Group Committee Chairperson (1994-1995)
- East Lansing Rotary Club (member 1993 – present, Board Member 2005-2006)
- Capitol Area Girl Scout Council (Board member, 1986-1988)
- Ingham County Office for Young Children (Board member, 1986-1987)
* Attorney Emeritus status identifies individuals who enjoyed distinguished legal careers at Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC and have retired from the practice of law.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2007-2016 (Corporate Law; Mergers & Acquisitions Law; Non-Profit / Charities Law; Securities / Capital Markets Law; Securities Regulation)
Small Business Advocate of the Year Award, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce Award (1993)
Tireless Award, Lansing Regional Chamber of Commerce (1993)
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1980 cum laude
University of Kansas and Michigan State University, B.S., 1976 with high honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan