The nation’s financial and real estate markets have undergone dramatic changes in recent years. Foster Swift has helped clients stay ahead of the curve as they face new challenges.
Understanding that the finance and real estate industries often cross paths, we have developed a comprehensive group to better assist clients with their legal needs.
As a full-service practice, Foster Swift's Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group has successfully counseled financial institutions, businesses, insurance companies and individuals for more than 100 combined years. The group's reputation for excellence has been recognized by peer-reviewed publications such as Michigan Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. Foster Swift has also been named a Tier 1 firm in Real Estate Law and Banking and Finance Law in Lansing by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2016 and 2017.
Whether you are a lender or a company with financing needs, the Banking, Finance and Real Estate Group handles related issues for a wide variety of businesses. Among the services provided are:
- Asset recovery, preferences and lien avoidance actions
- Financial transactions
- Real Estate transactions
- Counsel and guidance to financial institutions on regulatory compliance issues
- Bankruptcy, workouts and receiverships
- Bank Mergers & Acquisitions
- Collection, foreclosure, forfeiture actions, eviction proceedings and claim and delivery actions
- Loan transactions for lenders and borrowers
- Land division and zoning issues
- Site condominiums, mixed use condominiums, condominium conversions, and condominiums within condominiums
- Construction law matters including construction contracts, construction lien actions, and related litigation
- Environmental due diligence and Brownfield funding agreements
- Resolution of title disputes, title examinations, and title insurance claims
- Real estate brokerage law and property management contracts
Foster Swift has also represented property owners, builders, developers, and property management companies in legal proceedings throughout Michigan. Our attorneys have appeared in municipal and state administrative agencies and divisions, district and circuit courts, as well as in various courts of appeal.
Affordability and connections
Clients appreciate the value and results-oriented attitude we offer. By working closely with clients, we are able to customize fee arrangements that help meet their budget parameters. This allows us to provide the highest level of legal service at the lowest reasonable cost.
Our clients also rely on the professional working relationships our attorneys have developed with many key government and executive branch decision-makers, including state and federal financial institution regulators.
In short, Foster Swift provides comprehensive legal services to clients in banking, finance and real estate. Both institutional and individual clients benefit from the firm’s deep experience, knowledge of the law and reputation for outstanding attention to service.
Recent Blog Posts
- Reserve it or Lose it: Sixth Circuit BAP Reverses Bankruptcy Court on Issue of Whether Trustee Abandoned Asset in Chapter 7 Case
- Sixth Circuit Affirms Decision to Deny Chapter 7 Debtor’s Proposed Exemption Because She Lacked Equity in Property After a Sale
- District Court Affirms that Civil Fraud Penalties are Nondischargeable in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Cases
- Bankruptcy Court Upholds Contemporaneous Exchange for New Value Defense in Preference Action
- Chapter 7 Debtor’s Case Dismissed After Court Finds that She is Judicially Estopped from Arguing that Student Loan Debts are Non-Consumer in Nature
- Fraudulently Obtained Unemployment Benefits are not Dischargeable in Bankruptcy
- Chapter 13 Trustee Must Return Funds to Debtor Following Dismissal of Case
- The Provisional Nature of Discharge: Trustee's Knowledge of Fraud May Not Be Imputed to United States Trustee
- Supreme Court Adopts a Broad Reading of “Actual Fraud” Under the Bankruptcy Code
- Bankruptcy Court Decision to Allow Late-Filed Claim in Chapter 13 Case Reversed on Appeal
Publications & Alerts
- Court of Appeals Wrestles Again with an Equitable Subrogation Claim in a Dispute Between Two Mortgage Lenders, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, February 7, 2017
- Dower Rights are Abolished in Michigan, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, February 7, 2017
- Michigan Authorizes New Asset Protection Trusts, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, February 7, 2017
- Michigan Court of Appeals Grapples with Definition of “Surplus” Following a Foreclosure Sale, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, February 7, 2017
- An Ideal Time to Take on Your Accounts Receivable, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, August 18, 2016
- Michigan Court of Appeals Analyzes Foreclosure Rights in Two Recent Opinions, Foster Swift Finance, Real Estate & Bankruptcy News, August 18, 2016
- Leading Southwest Michigan Law Firm DeFrancesco, Dienes & Smith, PLLC to Join Foster Swift Collins & Smith, PC
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- Upcoming Webinar Series: Collect Your Money in Bankruptcy, June 18, 2015
- Foster Swift Attorney Randall Harbour named to position in the American Bar Association, August 20, 2013
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2011 Michigan Super Lawyers; 4 named Michigan Rising Stars, September 12, 2011
- Foster Swift's 2011 Best Lawyers, August 17, 2010
- Recent Decisions Impacting Bankruptcy Practice in the Western District of Michigan, Federal Bar Association, August 1, 2015
- Bankruptcy 101, NALS of Lansing, June 10, 2015
- What Every Treasurer Should Know About Bankruptcy, Livingston County Treasurers' Association, June 9, 2015
- Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy Practice, Federal Bar Association, April 30, 2015
- WEBINAR | The Borrower in Bankruptcy: Top 10 Mistakes Banks & Lenders Make in Consumer Bankruptcy Cases, Foster Swift, April 28, 2015
- What Every Treasurer Should Know About Bankruptcy, Bay County Treasurers' Association, April 21, 2015
- Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Issues, 2014 Bankruptcy Best Practices Seminar, September 18, 2014