Foster Swift attorneys have extensive experience in the representation of public and private employers in a wide range of labor relations and employment issues. We have been involved in labor relations matters affecting public employees since the adoption of the Michigan Public Employment Relations Act in 1965.
Through the years, Foster Swift attorneys have developed a unique ability to advocate on behalf of our public and private employer clients, while maintaining a reasoned perspective on labor relations.
- The negotiation of dozens of collective bargaining agreements with bargaining units representing police and fire units, supervisory employees, clerical/technical employees, and public works employees, as well as the bargaining of individual contracts with non-union employees
- The successful representation of public sector clients in Act 312 (police and fire arbitration) proceedings and in numerous grievance arbitrations involving issues of employee discipline and contract interpretation
- The adoption and administration of Police or Firefighter civil service ordinances
- The handling of Veterans Preference Act hearings
- The representation of public clients in matters before the Michigan Employment Relations Commission involving both representation questions and unfair labor practice allegations
Publications & Alerts
- Has Your Business Adapted Its Internet and Social Media Policies to New Changes?, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, May 2013
- How Michigan's New Right-To-Work Legislation Will Affect Municipalities, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, January 2013
- Discussion of Freedom-To-Work Legislation, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, December 13, 2012
- Court of Appeals Finds NLRB's Newly Implemented Election Rule Invalid, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, May 24, 2012
- Court of Appeals Blocks NLRB Notice Posting Requirement, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, April 18, 2012
- Rulemaking Will Require New Notice Posting And Change NLRB Secret Ballot Election Procedures, Foster Swift Employment, Labor & Benefits E-News, March 26, 2012
For more, click here