Business & Corporate
Businesses have a life cycle. Foster Swift business and corporate attorneys help business owners and key executives nurture their business every step of the way. By providing a comprehensive team of attorneys, we are able to build long term relationships with our clients that focus on success in every phase of the cycle.
Recognized by their peers as leaders, several Foster Swift Business and Corporate attorneys have been selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers in America and Michigan Super Lawyers.
For decades, the attorneys in the Business and Corporate Practice Group have assisted start-up businesses to Fortune 500 companies with:
- Entity selection, formation and organization planning
- Commercial transactions, mergers and acquisitions including asset or stock acquisitions or sales
- Counsel for securities offerings in compliance with federal and state securities laws
- SEC reporting requirements, executive compensation issues, disclosure issues and general corporate governance matters
- Contract preparation, compensation plan preparation and general corporate counseling
- Succession and exit planning
- International expansion, joint ventures, immigration and U.S. import/export controls
- Federal and state tax planning
- Shareholder dispute resolution
- Construction and real estate issues
- Intellectual property and information technology issues - CHECK OUT FOSTER SWIFT'S INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY LAW BLOG
We provide services to a wide variety of industry sectors and business types. Two emerging areas for the practice group are public finance and sports and entertainment law. Our Business and Corporate attorneys collaborate with Foster Swift attorneys in other areas and industry experts to cost effectively meet the legal needs of a business.
- A publicly-traded company hired Foster Swift to handle two registered secondary offerings involving an aggregate offering price of approximately $18 million.
- A growing manufacturing company retained Foster Swift to design, develop and implement a multi-state, multi-industry acquisition strategy which to date has successfully acquired three companies in three states with a combined value of $35 million.
- A business client needed help with the formation of a bank holding company and state chartered bank. Our attorneys handled these matters together with private placement offerings of $8.5 million and $3.3 million of common stock.
- An issuer needed counsel on a going-private transaction. On its behalf, Foster Swift managed the going-private transaction and a $10 million trust preferred securities offering.
- A multi-national insurance holding company hired Foster Swift. We helped the entity restructure and reorganize.
- A state-chartered bank wanted to acquire multiple branch locations and needed counsel. It hired Foster Swift, and the deals were done.
- A publicly-traded bank holding company hired Foster Swift and completed a registered purchase of a bank holding company.
- Various purchasers hired us to handle a $3.2 million insurance agency acquisition and, separately, the $6.5 million acquisition of oil and gas equipment.
- Various sellers hired Foster Swift for a $42 million sale of an original equipment manufacturer and, separately, a $9.3 million sale of an engineering firm.
Today’s business climate rewards those who are well prepared and strategic, particularly when it comes to adhering to challenges. A strong relationship with an experienced attorney can make a significant difference in the evolution of a business. Foster Swift business attorneys deliver cost-effective, responsive legal services for sophisticated transactions and business needs while creating innovative solutions to clients’ legal challenges.
Foster Swift has been named a Tier 1 firm in Corporate Law in Lansing and Grand Rapids by U.S. News – Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" in 2014.
Publications & Alerts
- ITAR Update, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, November 13, 2013
- New IRS Regulation, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, November 13, 2013
- Scam Alert for Michigan Businesses!, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, August 5, 2013
- UCC Article 9 Revised Effective as of July 1st, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, July 23, 2013
- To Arbitrate or Litigate? That is the Question., Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, July 11, 2013
- My Business Has to Comply with HIPAA?, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law Report, May 2013
For more, click here
- Inhulsen named one of Grand Rapids Business Journal's "40 under Forty", October 11, 2013
- Foster Swift Attorney Jean Schtokal selected as one of Michigan Lawyers Weekly 2013 "Women in the Law", August 8, 2013
- Kelly LaGrave Re-Elected First Vice President of NALA, July 25, 2013
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2011 Michigan Super Lawyers; 4 named Michigan Rising Stars, September 12, 2011
- New Practice Group Leader at Foster Swift, March 24, 2011
- Foster Swift's 2011 Best Lawyers, August 17, 2010
- ESOP Sustainability for CEOs and CFOs, ESOP Association - Michigan Chapter Meeting, October 22, 2013
- Business Life Cycle from Legal Perspective, NALA, July 27-29, 2011
- Foster Swift Presents: Michigan's Economic Outlook with Michael Finney - June 27, 2011, Foster Swift Collins and Smith, P.C., June 27, 2011
- WEBINAR | Protecting Against the Unknown: How to Successfully Review IT Contracts to Increase Your Rights and Avoid Potential Liability, June 22, 2010