Honors & Recognitions
Thomas M. Cooley Alumni Association Distinguished Student Award
Pace National Environmental Law Moot Court Competition, National Quarter-Finalist
State Bar of Michigan 1L Oral Advocacy Competition - First Place
Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2012
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., 2008, summa cum laude
Ohio University, B.S., 2005, summa cum laude, Communications
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
Laura J. (Garlinghouse) Genovich
Laura J. (Garlinghouse) Genovich
Laura joined Foster Swift in 2008 and practices bankruptcy law, municipal law, and trial-level and appellate litigation in the firm's Grand Rapids office. In the area of bankruptcy, Laura serves as a Chapter 7 (liquidation) trustee and as a Chapter 12 (farm and family fishermen) trustee for the Western District of Michigan. Read more about Laura's work as a trustee here. Laura regularly writes and speaks about bankruptcy law, has taught bankruptcy law as an adjunct professor at Thomas M. Cooley Law School, and maintains a blog about new cases from Michigan's bankruptcy courts. Because bankruptcy affects all industries, Laura also helps her individual and business clients navigate the bankruptcy system in numerous ways:
- Represents creditors in Chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 bankruptcy cases in various matters, including filing motions for relief from the automatic stay, preparing proofs of claims, and prosecuting nondischargeability actions.
- Defends individual and business clients against preference demands and lawsuits.
- Advises businesses and municipalities about how to protect their interests when a customer, supplier, or taxpayer files bankruptcy.
- Helps families (and their lawyers) understand the interplay between bankruptcy and divorce law.
- Represents other Chapter 7 trustees in all matters related to estate administration.
Additionally, Laura works with Foster Swift's municipal attorneys to assist townships and cities with various legal issues, including property tax, zoning, and litigation matters. Laura has also handled a wide range of trial and appellate matters for individual and business clients and has appeared before the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Michigan Court of Appeals, and the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Michigan, as well as Michigan circuit and district courts across the state. She also sings as a First Soprano and serves on the Board of Directors of the Grand Rapids Symphony Chorus.
Laura earned both her undergraduate and law degrees with summa cum laude designation. In law school, Laura earned 18 Certificates of Merit (book awards) - the highest honor for academic performance in a course - and was selected to receive the Alumni Association Distinguished Student Award. Laura excelled in her trial and appellate advocacy studies and was a National Quarter Finalist at the Pace National Environmental Moot Court Competition in New York, as well as the first-place winner of the State Bar of Michigan 1L Oral Advocacy Competition.
- Bankruptcy. Represents Chapter 7 trustees in all matters related to estate administration, including liquidation of estate assets, avoidance of security interests and preferential transfers, and objections to claimed exemptions. Represents creditors in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 cases, including nondischargeability actions and motions for relief from the automatic stay. Represents debtors in Chapter 7 cases.
- Municipal. Works with Foster Swift Municipal Team to advise townships, cities, and counties regarding various legal issues. Represents municipal clients in litigation matters, including zoning and land use disputes and property tax collections. Assists municipal clients with adopting police power and zoning ordinances, approving industrial facilities tax exemption certificates, establishing special assessment districts, and acquiring easements in connection with public improvements.
- Litigation. Represents wide range of clients in trial-level and appellate litigation in state and federal court, including individuals, small and family-owned businesses, municipalities, libraries, and insurers.
- Collections. Represents individual and business creditors in negotiation, litigation, and post-judgment proceedings to collect delinquent accounts and enforce contractual obligations.
- Insurance Defense. Defends municipalities in litigation, including cemetery liability and sewer system event cases.
- Foster Swift Attorney Discusses Creditors' Rights In Stamp Farms Case, Michigan Farm Bureau, December 21, 2012
- 2012 FBA Bankruptcy Section Seminar, FBA, July 19, 2012
- Seminar Panel - Chair of Exemption Practice, Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Section Seminar, July 28, 2011
- WEBINAR | The Medical Marijuana Act - and the Issues It Presents to Municipalities, May 18, 2011
- Ask a Lawyer, Michigan Township Association, January 26, 2011
- Township Codes of Ethics, Legal Institute, Michigan Townships Association Annual Educational Conference & Expo, January 25, 2011
For more, click here
- Bankruptcy Court Approves Sale of Stamp Farms Assets to Boersen Farms, Foster Swift Agricultural Law Update, February 2013
- Municipal Law Refresher: The "Equal Dignity" Doctrine, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, January 2013
- Federal Courts Strike Down Anti-Solicitation Policy And Anti-Begging Law, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, October 2012
- New Fireworks Law May Spark Overhaul of Local Regulations, Foster Swift Municipal Law Bulletin, July 2, 2012
- Time to Revisit Existing Firework Ordinances, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, May 31, 2012
- Federal Court Hears Cable Franchise Dispute, Foster Swift Municipal Law News, January 2012
For more, click here
Memberships & Affiliations
- Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association Bankruptcy Section (Western District of Michigan), Steering Committee Member
Industry & Professional Associations:
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Grand Rapids Young Professionals
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Grand Rapids Symphony Chorus, Board of Directors 2011-2012
Recent Blog Posts
Michigan Bankruptcy Blog