Katila Howard is a member of the firm's Business and Corporate practice group where she practices employee benefits matters, including ERISA, 409A, and Internal Revenue Code compliance matters. Additionally, Katila works with nonprofits and tax exempt organizations. She assists organizations with formation and organizational matters; exempt status attainment; solicitation compliance; drafting and negotiating contracts; and addressing various other challenges that arrive in this context.
During her time in law school Katila clerked for a business litigation firm, served as a judicial extern for the United States District Court of the Eastern District of Michigan and worked as a research assistant on the Michigan State University College of Law's project that commemorated the 60th anniversary of the U.S. Supreme Court case, Brown v. Board of Education and the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Simultaneously, she also interned for the Michigan House of Representatives. In addition, Katila served as the Executive Editor for the Journal of Business and Securities Law and externed with both the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and the Michigan Tax Tribunal.
Katila has had her article, "Marriage, Penalty: Matrimony, Tax & Inequality," published in the National Law Review. She has also received multiple scholarships including; the 2016 American Corporate Counsel Association Michigan Scholarship, the Damon J. Keith Scholarship from the Wolverine Bar Association and an honorary scholarship from the Women Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation.
Prior to law school, Katila earned her undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan in political science and women's studies, as well as her Masters in Education. Her Masters led her to work for Teach for America in Detroit.
Memberships & Affiliations
- Michigan State Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- Black Women's Lawyers Association
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Davis Dunnings Bar Association
- D. Augustus Straker Bar Association
- Wolverine Bar Association
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Women's Tax Association
- Last Day Dog Rescue, Board of Directors, 2017
- Greater Lansing United Nations Association, Board of Directors, 2017
Recent Blog Posts
BizTech Law Blog
- Management Contracts & Revenue Procedure 2017-13, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, August 9, 2017
- S Corporation Election for Limited Liability Corporations, Foster Swift Business & Corporate Law News, June 12, 2017
- Marital Dissolution & Taxation, Critical Legal Studies Journal, The University of Idaho College of Law, Spring 2017
- Marriage Penalty: Matrimony, Tax, & Inequity, National Law Review, September 6, 2016
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D. 2016, cum laude
University of Michigan, M.Ed. 2013
University of Michigan, B.A., Political Science & Women's Studies, 2011, with Honors
Bar and Court Admissions