Honors & Recognitions
"Top 5 Under 35" Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2012
Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2012
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 2007
Michigan State University, B.A., 2004
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court
Joshua K. Richardson
Joshua K. Richardson
Josh joined Foster Swift as a summer associate in 2006 and then returned after graduating from Indiana University School of Law in 2007.
He is a member of the General Litigation Practice Group where his strong research, writing and courtroom skills have been put to use on a wide range of general and commercial litigation as well as information technology matters, including:
- Employment Litigation: Noncompetition agreements; Title VII, Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, Whistleblowers' Protection Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disabilities Act claims; collective bargaining disputes; claims before the EEOC and Civil Rights Department.
- General Litigation: Areas of practice include municipal law; premises liability; governmental immunity; civil rights litigation; appellate practice; zoning, land use and real property litigation; and administrative law.
- Commercial Litigation: Telecommunications Law; insurance regulatory defense; construction law; e-commerce disputes.
- Information Technology Law: Electronic discovery and privacy matters; intellectual property, including trade secrets, copyrights, trademarks, trade names, and noncompete agreements; licensing and contract disputes.
Josh is admitted to practice law in Michigan, the U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Michigan, and the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
He is a member of the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, the American Inns of Court as well as the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, and the Ingham County Bar Association.
- Assisted large national life insurance company in obtaining injunctive relief against former wholesalers based on wholesalers' improper access and use of trade secret information.
- Assisted in the defense of former President and CEO of regional bank from shareholder derivative claims seeking damages in excess of $90 million.
- Defended large cutting and grinding tool manufacturer against breach of employment agreement claims involving potential liability of more than $1 million.
- Represented large national travel center company in multi-million dollar breach of contract action concerning the purchase of real property and facilities to be used as a full-service truck stop.
- Supreme Court Update, Michigan Defense Quarterly - Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Contributing Author, 2008 - present
- "Private" Information on Social Networking Websites Deemed Discoverable, Foster Swift Information Technology E-News, November 16, 2010
- No Summary Disposition for Landlord: Jury to Determine Whether Snow-Covered Stairway in Apartment Complex was Fit for Intended Use Under MCL 554.139, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, January 19, 2010
- Michigan Court of Appeals Continues Trend in Determining that Black Ice is not Open and Obvious, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, September 1, 2009
- Use of Generic Terms Precludes Otherwise Well-Known Brand Names From Obtaining Trademark Protection, Foster Swift Information Technology E-News, September 1, 2009
- Michigan Court of Appeals Holds that Black Ice is not Open and Obvious, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, March 26, 2009
For more, click here
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Board of Directors
- American Inns of Court, Associate Member
- Elder Law of Michigan
- Boys & Girls Club of Lansing, Board of Directors
Recent Blog Posts
Technology Law Blog