Josh Richardson represents businesses and individuals in a wide variety of complex litigation matters throughout the State of Michigan. His highly respected research, writing and courtroom skills have been utilized on a wide range of general and commercial litigation matters. Josh works diligently to achieve results that align with his clients’ objectives by being proactive and collaborative to establish strategies that are unique to each dispute.
He represents clients in the following practice areas:
- Commercial and Business Litigation: Contract and general business disputes; land use and real property matters; shareholder disputes; trade secrets and noncompetition actions; antitrust and trade regulation; oil and gas; residential and commercial construction issues; e-commerce disputes; and alternative dispute resolution.
- Insurance Industry and Regulation: Advise and assist insurance companies with compliance issues under the regulatory framework imposed by the Insurance Code and the Michigan Department of Financial and Insurance Services (DIFS); secure approvals for new insurance products and forms; represent insurance companies in administrative matters and enforcement actions before insurance regulators relating to market conduct, financial audits, and business practices; assist insurers with agency relationship matters and disputes; provide insurance coverage determinations and handle declaratory judgment actions.
- Employment Litigation: Enforcement of noncompetition agreements and restrictive covenants; wrongful discharge; Title VII, Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act, Whistleblowers' Protection Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, and Americans with Disabilities Act claims; collective bargaining disputes; claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission(EEOC) and Civil Rights Department.
Josh’s practice also involves the defense of premises liability, municipal liability and zoning actions. He often takes cases through all stages of the appeals process in state and federal appellate courts.
In addition to his legal practice, Josh also devotes his time to various professional and community organizations. He is treasurer of the Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, a Barrister member of the American Inns of Court, is active in the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association and the Ingham County Bar Association.
Josh has also served as a member of the Board of Directors for the Boys & Girls Club of Lansing since 2008, and acted as Chair of the Board in 2015 and 2016.
Honors & Recognitions
"Top 5 Under 35" Award, Ingham County Bar Association, 2012
Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2012-2016
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- Ingham County Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
Industry & Professional Associations:
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Board of Directors
- Defense Research Institute
- American Inns of Court, Barrister Member
- Boys & Girls Club of Lansing, Board of Directors, Chair
- Obtained a $5.1 million jury verdict on behalf of a distributor of agricultural equipment in an antitrust and unfair competition action.
- Secured dismissal of multi-million dollar action against a national truck stop chain involved in a real estate transaction, and obtained a six-figure judgment against the plaintiff for attorney fees and costs.
- Obtained dismissal of wrongful death claims relating to alleged environmental contamination on property designated as an EPA Superfund site.
- Successfully resolved multi-million dollar oil and gas action on behalf of mineral rights owners alleging breaches of fiduciary duties and improper insider dealings.
- Achieved dismissals of multi-million dollar sewage disposal backup claims on behalf of various municipalities.
- Obtained temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctive relief on behalf of numerous businesses against former employees and executives based on violations of noncompetition and nondisclosure agreements.
- Secured dismissals of numerous employment discrimination and wrongful discharge actions against employers, municipalities and school districts across Michigan.
- Defended regional tool manufacturer against breach of employment agreement claims involving potential liability of more than $1 million.
- Assisted in the defense of former president and CEO of regional bank from shareholder derivative claims seeking damages in excess of $90 million.
Recent Blog Posts
Technology Law Blog
- Is customer e-mail data maintained by US companies on overseas servers subject to US jurisdiction?
- Are Websites Subject to The Accessibility Requirements of The Americans With Disabilities Act?
- Are Large High-Tech Companies Shirking Tax Responsibilities? A Recent Study Suggests Just That
- "Private" Information on Social Networking Websites Deemed Discoverable
- Supreme Court Update, Michigan Defense Quarterly - Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Contributing Author, 2008 - present
- "Private" Information on Social Networking Websites Deemed Discoverable, Foster Swift Information Technology E-News, November 16, 2010
- No Summary Disposition for Landlord: Jury to Determine Whether Snow-Covered Stairway in Apartment Complex was Fit for Intended Use Under MCL 554.139, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, January 19, 2010
- Michigan Court of Appeals Continues Trend in Determining that Black Ice is not Open and Obvious, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, September 1, 2009
- Use of Generic Terms Precludes Otherwise Well-Known Brand Names From Obtaining Trademark Protection, Foster Swift Information Technology E-News, September 1, 2009
- Michigan Court of Appeals Holds that Black Ice is not Open and Obvious, Foster Swift Property Insurance/Premises E-News, March 26, 2009
News & Events
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- Michigan Court of Appeals affirmed jury decision in favor of McCormick, February 4, 2016
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- Attorney Josh Richardson elected Boys & Girls Club of Lansing Chair, January 26, 2015
- $5.15 Million Verdict for Farm Equipment Dealer Upheld, September 25, 2014
- 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 5, 2014
- Foster Swift Elects Behler, Farrar and Richardson as Shareholders, January 21, 2014
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Employment, Immunity and Zoning, September 17, 2015
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Land Use and Zoning, HCC Public Risk Claim, Inc. Annual Seminar, September 18, 2014
- Webinar: Top 5 Legal Issues To Address in Every Software Transaction, October 16, 2013
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Land Use and Zoning, HCC Public Risk Claim, Inc., Annual Seminar, September 5, 2013
- Annual Update of Michigan Law: Land Use and Zoning, HCC Public Risk Claim, Inc., Annual Seminar, September 13, 2012
- e-Discovery Legal Updates and Issues on the Horizon, Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, May 11, 2012
Indiana University School of Law, J.D., 2007
Michigan State University, B.A., 2004
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
U.S. Supreme Court