Honors & Recognitions
BV® Distinguished™ Martindale-Hubbell
University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2000
Michigan State University, B.A., 1997, Political Science
Bar and Court Admissions
Johanna M. Novak
Johanna M. Novak
Johanna is a member of Foster Swift's Health Care Practice Group and works from the firm's Marquette office. Johanna practices primarily in the areas of health insurance, employee benefits and health law. Specifically, the types of matters Johanna handles for her clients include:
- Health Insurance: Represent health insurance companies and health plans with general regulatory compliance, HIPAA privacy and security compliance, grievances and appeals, document preparation, regulatory filings, and network maintenance.
- Employee Benefits: Assist employers with all aspects of welfare benefit compliance, including document drafting, COBRA administration, mid-year election issues, and tax issues. Assist employers with health care reform compliance matters, including plan restructuring, health benefit administration, preparation and distribution of mandated notices, and compliance with the employer shared responsibility provisions.
- Health Law: Represent health care providers in all aspects of their business, including general regulatory compliance, HIPAA compliance, contracting, joint ventures, transactions, and fraud and abuse.
An excellent presenter, Johanna frequently speaks on the HIPAA Privacy and Security rules, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Active in both professional and community organizations, she is a member of the American Bar Association, the State Bar of Michigan, the State Bar of Wisconsin, the American Health Lawyers Association, the Marquette County Bar Association, the U.P Human Resources Association, and the Marquette County Economic Club She is also a board member of the Medical Care Access Coalition and the Marquette Breakfast Rotary Club.
Johanna received her undergraduate degree from Michigan State University, and her juris doctorate from the University of Wisconsin Law School.
- Successfully appealed the denial of Medicaid reimbursement for a hospital client. The client was entitled to reimbursement.
- Successfully defended several clients during investigations into alleged HIPAA violations by the Department of Health and Human Services. After explaining the circumstances, DHHS agreed that there were no violations.
- Assisted health insurance client with on-site audits performed by state regulators.
- Health Care Reform Seminar, Lake Superior Community Partnership, January 17, 2013
- Employer Obligations Under Health Care Reform, Delta County Chamber of Commerce, December 12, 2012
- Health Care Reform Updates, Lookout Ridge Consulting Group, October 10, 2012
- UP Health Group Fall Human Resources Forum, UPHG, September 21, 2012
- WEBINAR | New Developments in Health Care Reform, June 12, 2012
- WEBINAR | An Update on the 2011 Labor Law Changes and the Impact on Michigan Municipalities, June 6, 2012
For more, click here
- Health Reform Marches On, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, November 7, 2012
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Timeline, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, October 11, 2012
- Final Rule Issued Regarding Summary Of Benefits And Coverage Requirement, Foster Swift Employment Labor & Benefits Quarterly, Summer 2012
- Reporting and Returning Medicare Overpayments, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, July 11, 2012
- Supreme Court To Hear Challenges To Health Care Reform Law, Michigan Defense Quarterly, April 2012
- New Guidance Issued on Form W-2 Reporting of Employee Health Coverage, Foster Swift Health Care Law E-News, February 29, 2012
For more, click here
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Health Law Section
- Substantive Law Committee, Member
- Legislation Committee, Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Marquette County Bar Association
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Regional Chairperson
Industry & Professional Associations:
- U.P. Human Resources Association
- Marquette Breakfast Rotary Club, Board Member
- Marquette County Economic Club
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Medical Care Access Coalition, Board Member
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog