Gil joined the firm Of Counsel in 2003 and is a member of the Health Care Law Practice Group. He began practicing in Michigan in 1955 and has over 48 years of health and administrative law experience.
He concentrates his practice in the areas of health care law and administrative law. A prolific writer, many articles authored and coauthored by Gil have appeared in Health Care Weekly Review and numerous health and legal publications.
Gil received his undergraduate degree from Wayne State University and his L.L.B. and J.D. from Wayne State University Law School.
A member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association and the American Health Lawyers Association, Gil is also a member of the State Bar of Michigan's Health Care Law Section.
Honors & Recognitions
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell
Best Lawyers in America® 2005-2017 (Health Care Law)
dbusiness magazine 2011 Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Formation and ongoing representation of an HMO in and its independent practice association.
- Formation of physician-hospital organizations (PHO's) and physician organizations (PO's), and with numerous contractual undertakings both with these types of organizations in their contracts with third party insurers and government payors.
- Role of general counsel to southeastern Michigan Medical Center through all stages of development from the planning and building of the facility to ongoing growth and development.
- Development and finalization of managed care relationships between providers/payors including rates and methodologies of payment and service delivery.
- Prosecution and defense of providers in medical necessity (unnecessary services) cases with resulting claims for reimbursement. The organizations involved included Medicare/Medicaid programs, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and private carriers.
- Development of structures for inter hospital collaboration.
- Representation of a multitude of physical therapists and PT groups in connection with reimbursement rights and appeal rights with third party payers and insurance companies.
Recent Blog Posts
Health Care Law Blog
- Supreme Court to Weigh in on Providers’ Rights to Sue for Medicaid Reimbursements
- CMS Finalizes Changes to Unnecessary, Obsolete, Counterproductive or Excessively Burdensome Regulations
- Foster Swift Sponsors Lansing Regional Chamber 2011 Health Care Forum
- Updates from State Bar of Michigan's Health Care Law Section Annual Meeting
- Hot Off the Presses: Foster Swift Health Care Law Newsletter
- Exchange Planning In Michigan Health Insurance
- Blues Curtail Patient Provider Rights, November 5, 2013
- ACA Compliance: Small Providers and CMS Responsibility, Health Care Weekly Review, April 8, 2013
- Michigan Exchange Planning Advances and Insights, Foster Swift Health Care Law Report, September 2011
- The New Exchanges - Threat or Opportunity for the Physician, Foster Swift Health Care Law Report, September 2010
- Bold Compliance Needed Under PPACA, M.D. News Southeast Michigan, July 2010
- Compliance: Now More Than Ever, M.D. News Southeast Michigan, January 2010
News & Events
- 44 Foster Swift Attorneys Named to 2016 Best Lawyers in America® Roster, August 21, 2015
- 45 Foster Swift attorneys named to 2015 Best Lawyers in America® roster, August 19, 2014
- Forty-five Foster Swift Attorneys included in Best Lawyers in America®, August 15, 2013
- 47 Foster Swift attorneys named as 2013 Best Lawyers in America®, September 4, 2012
- Health Care Regulatory Policy Action Work Group Appoints Foster Swift Attorney, April 1, 2011
- Gilbert M. Frimet, Alan G. Gilchrist and Bruce A. Vande Vusse selected as 2011 Top Lawyers in Metro Detroit by dbusiness magazine, dbusiness magazine, November-December 2010
- Foster Swift's 2011 Best Lawyers, August 17, 2010
Wayne State University Law School, L.L.B., 1954
Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1954
Wayne State University, A.B., 1952
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan