Alex Ayar's law practice is focused on complex litigation matters involving business, employment, real estate, construction, family, environmental and municipal law. Many of his litigation clients are businesses and business owners who seek his advice and counsel on general business and transactional issues.
Alex earned his Bachelor of Science Degree in Economics with Honors from Oakland University in just two and a half years and went on to graduate cum laude from Wayne State University Law School. During his legal studies, Alex interned for the then Chief Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, was a Moot Court recipient of an award for Excellence in Oral Advocacy and was the President of the St. Thomas More Society.
Alex was honored to serve as a member of the 2013-2014 Judicial Advisory Committee for the United States District Court for The Eastern District of Michigan. As a member of the Judicial Advisory Committee Alex participated in a process of vetting and recommending individuals to fill federal judicial vacancies , recommendations that ultimately reached the White House for use in making judicial appointments.
He is also a fellow of the Oakland County Bar Foundation, a past president of the Chaldean American Bar Association, as well as a member of the Federal Bar Association, the Oakland County Bar Association and the American Bar Association. Additionally, Alex is a member of the State Bar of Michigan's Client Protection Fund Committee, the Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce and the Historical Society for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Lead litigation defense counsel for an entrepreneur, his spouse and his business in a complex commercial litigation matter where they were being sued for tens of millions of dollars. After discovery, Alex prepared a dispositive motion and argued that plaintiffs' own evidence established they engaged in a fraud that mandated dismissal of their claims. Plaintiffs' complaint was dismissed and Alex's clients were awarded reimbursement of their litigation costs.
- Lead litigation defense counsel for a notable former executive of a major automobile company in a contract dispute with his ex-wife regarding their marital settlement agreement. Prior to Alex's retention, litigation in the trial court had been ongoing for six years during which his future client was held in contempt of court, a bench warrant was issued for his immediate arrest and a judgment was entered against him for millions of dollars. The Court of Appeals also involuntarily dismissed his future client's claim of appeal. Once Alex was retained, he successfully convinced the Court of Appeals to reinstate the appeal. He then convinced the court that the trial court lacked subject matter jurisdiction. All orders, judgments and even the bench warrants issued by the trial court against Alex's client were held to be void ab initio, unenforceable and vacated.
- Lead litigation counsel for a direct Chinese manufacturer against a wind turbine company in a significant email fraud case. After uncovering a potential underlying scheme to defraud, Alex obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of his client.
- Lead litigation counsel where Alex successfully convinced the Oakland County Circuit Court to grant a dispositive motion — filed in lieu of an answer — that dismissed a complex business tort action.
- Lead litigation counsel where Alex successfully convinced an Oakland County Circuit Court case evaluation panel to award $750,000 in favor of a corporate client in an environmental matter.
- Alex provided extensive assistance in brief writing and at oral argument on a dispositive motion that convinced the court to award a multi-million dollar judgment to a corporate client, along with his costs and attorneys' fees in a complex environmental litigation matter.
Honors & Recognitions
Michigan Super Lawyers, "Rising Star," 2013-2016
Michigan Lawyers Weekly, "Up & Coming" Class of 2016
Chaldean American Bar Association, "Attorney on the Rise," 2016
dBusiness, "Top Lawyer", Business Litigation, 2017
Memberships & Affiliations
- State Bar of Michigan Client Protection Fund Committee, Member, 2011-Present
- Chaldean American Bar Association, President 2011-2012
- Oakland County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Federal Bar Association
- Oakland County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Judicial Advisory Committee for the Federal District Court Eastern District of Michigan, Member 2013-2014
- Chaldean Federation of America
- Historical Society for the U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- Chaldean American Chamber of Commerce
- Shenandoah Country Club, Board of Directors
- Title Through Adverse Possession, Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, July 14, 2015
- To Arbitrate or Litigate? That is the Question., Foster Swift Commercial Litigation News, July 11, 2013
- Does a Zoning Ordinance Prevent or Restrict Your Business' Planned Expansion?, Foster Swift Construction Law News, April 2008
News & Events
- Five Foster Swift Attorneys Named to dBusiness 2016 Top Lawyers, November 14, 2016
- 29 Foster Swift Attorneys Selected to 2016 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars Lists, September 2, 2016
- Alexander A. Ayar Named "Attorney on the Rise," by Chaldean American Bar Association, May 6, 2016
- 21 Foster Swift Attorneys named to 2015 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 8, 2015
- 2014 Michigan Super Lawyers and Michigan Rising Stars, September 5, 2014
- Thirty-one Foster Swift Attorneys included in Super Lawyers for 2013, September 6, 2013
- Three Foster Swift Attorneys Elected as Shareholders, January 25, 2013
Wayne State University Law School, J.D., cum laude
Oakland University, B.S., with honors
Bar and Court Admissions
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan